4 Tier Cake Pick Up!! Need Some Advise!

Decorating By cheesecakes-galore Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm by DeeDelightful

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 21

I have a bride that has ordered a large 4 tier cake and does not want to pay for the deliver fee. So she has opted to have her family who lives here pick it up and drive it about 2 hours away. I am extremely nervous about this, since it will be in one of the hottest months of the season, and will be out of my hands. She realizes that she is responsible for it at least.

So my question is, I will use the SPS system, but was thinking of setting it up in 2 tiers, so all they have to do is set the smaller 2 tier on top. Will this work? Will I need to give her a bag of icing for any mistakes they may cause setting it up? It is a very simple cake, all buttercream (indydebi's recipe) with only a ribbon detail on the bottom of every tier, with fresh flowers.

Also when I order the SPS system, should I get the one plate on the bottom of the small 2 tier 1 inch larger, so it will be easier to handle?

Please any advise on this one will be greatly appreciated! I really need it right now after the last cake disaster I had.

20 replies
cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 21

Wow! CC is really messing up. I just checked to see if I had any responses and saw this was posted 3 times! Seriously, I only hit submit once.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 21

I would put it all together and let them deal with it. It's not easy to stack cake either. so I'd just leave them with one hard thing to do--get it there in one piece and without it melting.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 21

I would put it all together and let them deal with it. It's not easy to stack cake either. so I'd just leave them with one hard thing to do--get it there in one piece and without it melting.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 21

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 21

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 21

I agree with K8. Have the cake stacked and completed and let them take it.

I have a "waiving delivery" attachment that I send to them, and then I have it printed out, read it to them, as them to read it and sign it.

It's about having a flat surface, don't have someone hold the cake in their lap. How to drive, a/c in the vehicle...

After my last delivery waiver, I am adding a new section to the email, bring a clean car!!! This lady got her fiances SUV, has a big flat back, good AC, tinted windows. We open the back and there is 2 cushions back there and dog hair EVERYWHERE. I mean, the back was COATED in dog hair. I actually gagged when I saw it. I told her I could not in good conscience place a cake back there! We ended up using a wedge thing and sitting it in one of the seats up front. *shiver*

Anyhow, a pre-email to make sure their vehicle has the space and is clean would be good. Then in person discuss accelerating, slowing down, turning... and then I explained the issues the cake may have if these are not followed properly and make them sign it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 21

I would also let her have it all stacked together. They aren't going to know how to stack it perfectly. I think it's a good idea to send a bag of icing with them just in case. But honestly, they probably won't know what to do with that either. I'd send it anyway though!

cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 21

I would also let her have it all stacked together. They aren't going to know how to stack it perfectly. I think it's a good idea to send a bag of icing with them just in case. But honestly, they probably won't know what to do with that either. I'd send it anyway though!

cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 21

cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 21

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 21

I have had 3 tiered picked up but not 4..Honestly...after they take the cake it is no longer your responsibility..Who in their right mind would trust their wedding cake to family on the big day..."Fall off your Wallet" and spend the extra to have it delivered and set up properly..Ghesh....I see this wedding on bloopers when the cake falls over or doesn't make it there in one piece.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 21

It amazes me that they'll spend thousands for a wedding and try to skimp on forty bucks worth of delivery (just pulling a number out of the air ... don't know what you're charging for delivery).

I don't mean this to sound like I KNOW it's going to sound (stop laughing .... I really mean it!), but if they want to pick up a 4-tier wedding cake, then let them pick up a 4-tier wedding cake ... all stacked, all ready to go. I woudn't send the bag of icing either ... as mentioned above, they wouldn't know what to do with it. Make sure they sign off that they know it's their problem once they walk out the door.

I know one bakery that flat out tells their clients, "It's recommended that you let us deliver it. Because if you get it one step out that door and drop it, all we can do is stand here and laugh." (yeah .... I have a friend who was actually told that by the bakery.)

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It amazes me that they'll spend thousands for a wedding and try to skimp on forty bucks worth of delivery (just pulling a number out of the air ... don't know what you're charging for delivery).

I don't mean this to sound like I KNOW it's going to sound (stop laughing .... I really mean it!), but if they want to pick up a 4-tier wedding cake, then let them pick up a 4-tier wedding cake ... all stacked, all ready to go. I woudn't send the bag of icing either ... as mentioned above, they wouldn't know what to do with it. Make sure they sign off that they know it's their problem once they walk out the door.

I know one bakery that flat out tells their clients, "It's recommended that you let us deliver it. Because if you get it one step out that door and drop it, all we can do is stand here and laugh." (yeah .... I have a friend who was actually told that by the bakery.)

WELL SAID! All that money on a cake....and SKIMPING out on a delvery?! Sheesh! icon_rolleyes.gif

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

WELL SAID! All that money on a cake....and SKIMPING out on a delvery?! Sheesh! icon_rolleyes.gif

caketease Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketease Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 21

Oh my, skimping on delivery!?!? icon_eek.gif I can not image having ordered a cake for my WEDDING DAY and have somebody just drop by and pick it up. icon_confused.gif I agree, I would have it assembled completely and make sure that they know that once they took it out the door it is THEIR responsibility.

caketease Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #17 of 21

Oh my, skimping on delivery!?!? icon_eek.gif I can not image having ordered a cake for my WEDDING DAY and have somebody just drop by and pick it up. icon_confused.gif I agree, I would have it assembled completely and make sure that they know that once they took it out the door it is THEIR responsibility.

caketease Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #18 of 21

caketease Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #19 of 21

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have had 3 tiered picked up but not 4..Honestly...after they take the cake it is no longer your responsibility..Who in their right mind would trust their wedding cake to family on the big day..."Fall off your Wallet" and spend the extra to have it delivered and set up properly..Ghesh....I see this wedding on bloopers when the cake falls over or doesn't make it there in one piece.

Yeah, i just pictured the groom's cousin at the wedding with cake icing in his hair and the bride/groom wondering what happened to him? They will find out when they get to the reception....What's a delivery fee, when you've paid for a beautiful cake and the assurance that it will be delivered in one piece???? Too cheap for me.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yeah, i just pictured the groom's cousin at the wedding with cake icing in his hair and the bride/groom wondering what happened to him? They will find out when they get to the reception....What's a delivery fee, when you've paid for a beautiful cake and the assurance that it will be delivered in one piece???? Too cheap for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%