Freezing Buttercream

Baking By Caet Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 11:36am by 1234me

Caet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caet Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I've noticed that a lot of you say that you freeze leftover buttercream to use later. So - I had quite a bit left over from my last batch and put it in a ziploc bag, squeezed all the air out and popped it in the freezer.
Now my question is, how do I go about using it? What's the best way to thaw it? I'm assuming I'll need to rewhip, but at what speed and for how long? Will I need to add any liquid?
Thanks! I'm going to be making a hundred cupcakes for a wedding recipetion at the end of July, so if I can make the frosting ahead of time and freeze it it will save quite a bit of my sanity!

Caet

2 replies
Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 3

I made 200 cupcakes last month. Made the buttercream a month ahead,froze it in Tupperware containers,removed from freezer night before & thawed overnight in fridge. Just needed to stir. Looked & tasted just fine.Remember if you colour the butercream, the colour will darken over time, so go lighter rather than darker.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:36am
post #3 of 3

I freeze buttercream all the time. I make 25 lbs at a time and put it in large tupperware bowls and put in the freezer until I need them, which is every week icon_smile.gif Let them thaw, stir, and they are ready icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%