Gumpaste Question, Please Read

Decorating By tnuty Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 2:19pm by DianeLM

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 20

Hi, Im making a cake for this weekend...nothing new, but the new thing is I cant get my gumpaste pieces to dry for NOTHING!! they wont harden, I've already made them twice, I think its the humidity around here. Any how heres my question, I put the last pieces I made in the fridge.. I never did this before, never really had a problem before today.. they are hardening up, but I am concerned that when they come back to room temperature they will soften again. Does anyone know the likely hood of this happening? I am traveling with this cake to NY from RI and I need the pieces hardened by sat, they are an important piece of the cake. Any suggestions if you don't think this will work?

19 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 20

Not a good moveicon_sad.gif If anything put them in a food dehydrator or in the oven with just the light on. That's the best choices.
I'm sure it is the high humidity that is causing the problems.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 20

Not a good moveicon_sad.gif If anything put them in a food dehydrator or in the oven with just the light on. That's the best choices.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 20

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 20

I am new to all this but I think that if you put it in the fridge, the condensation will soften the gumpaste again when you take it out of the fridge. i have to make roses for a cake in two weeks and what i am doing is once I am done making them I put them in the oven with just the light on. The oven should be off just the heat from the light will horden them. Once they are hard, I put them in an air tight container. this seems to be working so far.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #6 of 20

vnm42101 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #7 of 20

I am new to all this but I think that if you put it in the fridge, the condensation will soften the gumpaste again when you take it out of the fridge. i have to make roses for a cake in two weeks and what i am doing is once I am done making them I put them in the oven with just the light on. The oven should be off just the heat from the light will horden them. Once they are hard, I put them in an air tight container. this seems to be working so far.

vnm42101 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 20

tnuty Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #9 of 20

unfortunately I cant put them in the oven, its been on all evening, as Im baking the cakes I need to take and Im leaving tomorrow.. ugh! I think I might bring what I need to make them AGAIN there, then Ill put them in the oven when I get there...they should be hard by Saturday...right! they arent that thick... I wish they werent so important, but they are the headboard and the footboard to a 13inch bed...kindof important

tnuty Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #10 of 20

unfortunately I cant put them in the oven, its been on all evening, as Im baking the cakes I need to take and Im leaving tomorrow.. ugh! I think I might bring what I need to make them AGAIN there, then Ill put them in the oven when I get there...they should be hard by Saturday...right! they arent that thick... I wish they werent so important, but they are the headboard and the footboard to a 13inch bed...kindof important

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 20

Maybe you could just sit them on top of the oven & they would get enough heat to dry & it won't be too hot.

K82me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K82me Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #12 of 20

I've done this and they do melt and get shiny! I'm sorry! Take them out as soon as you can.

Thanks,
Kate

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 20

Please don't store them in an airtight container. Any moisture in that container (from humidity, etc.) will wreak havoc on your gumpaste pieces. Store them away from sunlight in a box or something where a little air can circulate.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 20

I've been having the same issue with some (70!) GP flowers this week - the humidity is so bad this week in NY too. I agree about not putting them in the fridge - I'm keeping my completed flowers in an egg carton (the cardboard type with the little openings on top) - and have now moved them OUT of the kitchen where the heat and humidity is the worst. They are living in another room where the A/C is on the most and they seem to be holding up better now.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 20

I've been having the same issue with some (70!) GP flowers this week - the humidity is so bad this week in NY too. I agree about not putting them in the fridge - I'm keeping my completed flowers in an egg carton (the cardboard type with the little openings on top) - and have now moved them OUT of the kitchen where the heat and humidity is the worst. They are living in another room where the A/C is on the most and they seem to be holding up better now.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:22pm
post #16 of 20

They need to be in front of a fan and they will dry almost over night for you. The fridge will n ot work at all because of all the moisture is there. And you said your oven was busy not to mention air doesn't truely circulate in an oven unless it is on and heat is no good. A fan always works for me.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 20

They need to be in front of a fan and they will dry almost over night for you. The fridge will n ot work at all because of all the moisture is there. And you said your oven was busy not to mention air doesn't truely circulate in an oven unless it is on and heat is no good. A fan always works for me.

DianeLM Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:17pm
post #18 of 20

You can pick up a product called "Damp Rid" at the home improvement or hardware store. It works like those little packs of dessicant (DO NOT EAT!!! icon_wink.gif ) by absorbing moisture from the air, but a lot bigger. Just place a pack in with your gumpaste pieces. Follow the directions. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #19 of 20

You can pick up a product called "Damp Rid" at the home improvement or hardware store. It works like those little packs of dessicant (DO NOT EAT!!! icon_wink.gif ) by absorbing moisture from the air, but a lot bigger. Just place a pack in with your gumpaste pieces. Follow the directions. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:19pm
post #20 of 20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%