What Caused This??? Help!

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 1:22am by aunt_dodo

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

I had two cake orders this past weekend....Both went off well, except for one thing...which I have never experienced before.

I had one cake that was a 10" (two-layer) cake, and there was a wolder mold with the doll pick, made to look like a hawaiian girl. So I get the cake all smooth, I put the wonder mold on top and I start putting the icing on to look like a grass skirt....I move the cake around, and notice I have a huge bubble protruding from my icing. I use the crusting buttercream (viva method) so I'm not sure why it would get a air bubble underneath it. I poked it with a toothpick and then re-smoothed it, and continued what I was doing....Before too long I notice two more air bubbles....So I stop and fix those as well. Then when I get to the place I am meeting the lady to give her the cakes she ordered, I notice a big air bubble, and a smaller one as well. Luckily she is a friend of mine, and she wasn't mad about it or anything...

What could have caused this? I need to avoid this at all costs for any other cakes....What are your thoughts??

I do have pictures of the bubbles, I will post them when I get to my computer..

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #2 of 7

Do you freeze your cakes? I have had air bubbles under my BC before when I didn't let them defrost all the way. Now I make sure they are at room temperature all the way through before I frost them and I don't put them back in the fridge after I have decorated.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchas

Do you freeze your cakes? I have had air bubbles under my BC before when I didn't let them defrost all the way. Now I make sure they are at room temperature all the way through before I frost them and I don't put them back in the fridge after I have decorated.

same here

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:39am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchas

same here

aunt_dodo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 7

No, I don't freeze them....I simply put them in the fridge for about 15 mins to let the icing crust before I smooth it with the viva....Would that have caused it maybe? I do it all the time and this is the first time it happened...

aunt_dodo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 7

No, I don't freeze them....I simply put them in the fridge for about 15 mins to let the icing crust before I smooth it with the viva....Would that have caused it maybe? I do it all the time and this is the first time it happened...

aunt_dodo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%