Topsy Turvy With Oval Layers???

Decorating By still_learning Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm by Djor

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever made a topsy turvy cake with oval layers? Or do you think it would work out OK? I've never made a topsy turvy cake at all and the design would look better with oval layers but I'm having a hard time picturing it. Would the angles be more difficult with ovals? Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Thanks!

6 replies
still_learning Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:09am
post #2 of 7

Bump... just because I need to start baking ASAP as the cake is for this Sat!!! Thanks icon_surprised.gif

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:25am
post #3 of 7

Sounds like it would be really neat. I think the oval layers would add to the "turvy". I'd try it if it were me, but maybe not for a cake that someone ordered. If you're just messing around though and have the time to rebake and decorate if it doesn't work out, I'd go for it. good luck!

still_learning Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, SugarLover2, for your comment. I went ahead and tried the oval layers for the topsy turvy and I guess it turned out OK. I entered it into the Threadcakes contest and it made it to Sunday Sweets on Cakewrecks yesterday! I really can't believe it - I've only made a few cakes and this was my first topsy turvy. I liked your advice and I figured you were right - might as well try it! THANKS!!! (It's the Threadless We Were Tomatoes cake in my photos if you're interested).

still_learning Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks, SugarLover2, for your comment. I went ahead and tried the oval layers for the topsy turvy and I guess it turned out OK. I entered it into the Threadcakes contest and it made it to Sunday Sweets on Cakewrecks yesterday! I really can't believe it - I've only made a few cakes and this was my first topsy turvy. I liked your advice and I figured you were right - might as well try it! THANKS!!! (It's the Threadless We Were Tomatoes cake in my photos if you're interested).

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 7

Oh my goodness, it came out fabulously! Great job! I was planning to enter that contest. I was going to do the one with the mouse bench pressing the trap and then the one with the sandcastle and the beach ball. But then I saw some of the entries start coming in...and I got intimidated. No way I could win. I still plan to do them just for fun though. It's good practice.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 7

Beautiful cake ,great job thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%