Anyone Know About Fondant Decorations??

Decorating By ikklejo Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm by 2girliesmama

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 24

Does anyone how how long in advance I could make little fondant decorations such as little shoes, bag handles, buckles ect??? How long do they last??

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

23 replies
2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 24

I usually make things a week in advance and store them in a shoe box. DO NOT store in an airtight container!. I believe fondant is like gumpaste and will last indefinately. I guess it depends on the type of fondant you are using. Commercially packaged fondant sits of a shelf in a cake store etc. like forever with out a problem. Are you planning on having these decorations eaten? Do you need them to be stiff or do you want to keep them soft for sculpting purposes?

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 24

yea they will be eaten its little shoes for arond the cake and a handle for on a bag cake icon_smile.gif

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 24

yea they will be eaten its little shoes for arond the cake and a handle for on a bag cake icon_smile.gif

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 24

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 24

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 24

You could probably make them a week in advance and they'd be just fine! That's usually what I do...

kansaswolf Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 24

You could probably make them a week in advance and they'd be just fine! That's usually what I do...

kansaswolf Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 24

kansaswolf Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 24

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 24

Ok cool thanks for letting me know! icon_smile.gif x

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 24

2girliesmama Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 24

I would say just go 1-2 weeks in advance. One week if possible. Store in a shoe box or tin. They will stiffen up. This will not effect the taste. When you go to place them use a little frosting if placing on buttercream or a little edible glue (water or water with tylose added) if placing on fondant. This works for me and I have never had a problem icon_biggrin.gif I believe I have a ninja turtle cake on here if you check out my profile you can see the results of making ahead.

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 24

2girliesmama Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 24

I would say just go 1-2 weeks in advance. One week if possible. Store in a shoe box or tin. They will stiffen up. This will not effect the taste. When you go to place them use a little frosting if placing on buttercream or a little edible glue (water or water with tylose added) if placing on fondant. This works for me and I have never had a problem icon_biggrin.gif I believe I have a ninja turtle cake on here if you check out my profile you can see the results of making ahead.

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 24

2girliesmama Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 24

2girliesmama Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 24

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #19 of 24

I've made fondant decorations weeks, even a month in advance, with no issues at all. I usually store them in an airtight container when I'm making them quite awhile ahead of time. They still taste fine (if you like fondant) and hold up well. The color softens a little with time so you will probably want to make the pieces a little stronger color than you require.

bettinashoe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #20 of 24

I've made fondant decorations weeks, even a month in advance, with no issues at all. I usually store them in an airtight container when I'm making them quite awhile ahead of time. They still taste fine (if you like fondant) and hold up well. The color softens a little with time so you will probably want to make the pieces a little stronger color than you require.

bettinashoe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 24

bettinashoe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:06pm
post #22 of 24

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #23 of 24

I'd make them a week in advance and store it in some type of unused clean box. The shoe box just sounds a little unsanitary in "my opinion" -- even if the shoe wasn't used. People try it out at stores you know.

2girliesmama Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #24 of 24

Oh ! I guess I did not mention I line my shoe box with tissue paper. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%