Frosting Shriveled/caved In Slightly After It Dried

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm by notjustcakes

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 6

I frosted a cake with buttercream icing (I made indydebi's batch like I always do), and got it smooth and pretty using a spray bottle of hot water - i didn't overspray it, just enough to smooth it out with my scraper.

Then the next am, the frosting looked like it shriveled and caved in in various places, it got very lumpy. What the heck happeend? Was it from the light misting of water?

5 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 6

Ive never tried the misting thing, Does it work, sorry i have no info to tell you have no clue what happened maybe someone else can give words of wisdom

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Ive never tried the misting thing, Does it work, sorry i have no info to tell you have no clue what happened maybe someone else can give words of wisdom

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 6

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 6

Yeah, the misting works WONDERS. But you have to do it lightly and sparingly.

OR you can just run your scraper under hot water to heat the metal up and it smooths the icing like magic. Even erases air bubbles.

Maybe I misted it too much? Who knows.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 6

I looked at Indydebi's BC frosting recipe and I use a "crusting" buttercream recipe similar to hers, but I have half butter and half shortening. The easiest way to smooth the frosting is to use the Viva papertowel method....Let me know if you want info on how to do that...I don't mess with water on my frosting especially in the summer or high humidity...It's just so unpredictable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%