Bussiness ??? About Starting At A New Place(Kinda Long)

Decorating By krissycupcakes Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 6:33am by sara91

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #1 of 3

OK so i stopped in a new funky lil bakery not far from my house. i started talking to the owner who seems soooo nice and cool. when i told her i do fondant cakes and carved cakes she was like wait wait wait!!!!!! i need you !!!! she doesnt know anything about fondant and people keep asking her about cakes(im curantly unemployed) so i told her maybe we could work something out to do decorating as needed kinda thing, but she told me all her cakes are JUST duncan not doctoredor anything apparently from conversation she has no idea about baking. so she said something about me coming maybe 2 days a week to help her and then doing cakes i feel i can go into this place and kinda guide her to better ways and make something great for me too!!! but my ? is she is small and im not trying to hurt her in the $$$ but how do i work this do i charge her hourly for the days i work there to help her which may include light fondant work like cupcake decorations, and then charge per cake i decorate for orders. how do i work this i wanna do whats best for bothof us because this is a great oppertunity for me to kinda take over the cakes and get my stuff going. thanks for your thoughts krissy

2 replies
LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:51am
post #2 of 3

I recently did something similar to this. However, the lady that owns the shop only does weddding cakes and cupcakes. She ordered fondant emblems for groom's cakes and paid me for them individually. Once she ordered a groom's cake, paid me for the cake and sold it to her client. Most of the work I did in my own shop. I did work for her in her shop a couple of days and she paid me by the hour. While is was there, I baked and decorated cupcakes and made fondant figures and it was covered under the hourly pay that we had agreed on. Just talk to her and see what she has in mind. Maybe you could get a percentage of the total "profit" from each cake. Good luck and keep us posted.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 3

"how do i work this do i charge her hourly for the days i work there to help her which may include light fondant work like cupcake decorations, and then charge per cake i decorate for orders"

Why would she want to pay you an hourly rate then another amount on top of that?

I am sure the owner would want to pay one or the other method not both. Sounds too confusing.

If you are decorating cakes away from the business as well, you could keep a log of your hours to be paid.

This method worked well for me.

Good luck, sounds like a great opportunity for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%