Storing A Tall Cake?

Decorating By sallene Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm by icing_fever

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 18

I typically do cookies, so I'm kind of cake challenged. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, how do you all store a cake that is taller than a typical cake carrier? I'm making a doll cake for my daughter's birthday party, but I'd like to make it the day before. My plan is to use fondant, but I may end up using buttercream instead. Anyway, the cake is taller than my cake dome, so how do I cover it?

Thanks!

17 replies
sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 18

Anyone?

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 18

Anyone?

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 18

Anyone?

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 18

Unless you have used a filling or icing that is perishable, you can probably leave it as is without covering it. I use indydebs buttercream, which has no butter...it is fine left on the counter. Unless you have a nosy cat or hungry kids with sticky fingers, you could leave it uncovered. I have put my cake on the dryer with a larger box setting over it (because of MY nosy cat, lol). Once you have it iced or covered in fondant, it should not dry out, in fact fondant keeps the moisture in. Hope this helps.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 18

double post...

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 18

If it is fondant or well-crusted buttercream, you can cover it lightly with saran wrap or foil. If not, I would try to find a cardboard box tall enough to cover it....

Beckalita Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 18

duplicate post

Beckalita Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 18

duplicate post

Beckalita Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 18

duplicate post

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks! I'm sure this will dup. post, but I appreciate the input. Hadn't thought of using a box!

It won't be perishable, but I'd like to have it covered. No pets, and the kids aren't tall enough to reach, but I'd feel better that way. lol

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks! I'm sure this will dup. post, but I appreciate the input. Hadn't thought of using a box!

It won't be perishable, but I'd like to have it covered. No pets, and the kids aren't tall enough to reach, but I'd feel better that way. lol

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 18

sallene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 18

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:06pm
post #15 of 18

Never mind just double posting icon_razz.gif This is getting kinda crazy!!

I don't have a cat or little munchin's running around. So I just keep my cakes out on the counter, unless it for say overnight, then I get a really big grocery bag and drape it over top of it.

icing_fever Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #16 of 18

I don't have a cat or little munchin's running around. So I just keep my cakes out on the counter, unless it for say overnight, then I get a really big grocery bag and drape it over top of it.

icing_fever Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 18

icing_fever Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 18

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%