Making A Denser Cake

Decorating By erinalicia Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm by madgeowens

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 11

I have a friend who has asked for a 3D car cake and they love my chocolate cake. I use this recipe http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2185-66-Dark-Chocolate-Cake.html which is the same as the one on the back of the hershey's cocoa box. It calls for 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of oil and then 1 cup of boiling water to be added once everything is mixed.

If I decrease the amount of boiling water would that create a denser cake? Or should I add an extra egg. I just want to make sure this cake is dense enough for carving.

Before I tried this recipe, I always used the WASC recipe and just changed the flavors. But this is the BEST tasting chocolate cake I've ever had. I make it with the dark chocolate. Yum!

Thanks for any advice or tips.

10 replies
erinalicia Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 11

anyone? I really need to get these cakes in the oven ASAP.... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 11

I caution the use of this cake for carving. It is way too fragile. I'm sorry I couldn't help with the recipe substitutions, I've always made it as is. We also love this cake.

erinalicia Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks, Deb. Got any suggestions for a chocolate cake (scratch) that isn't as fragile?

erinalicia Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 11

is the WBH chocolate buttercake denser? I've made the white, but haven't tried the chocolate. Because of some allergies I can't use a doctored mix which I know will come out dense enough for carving.

Deb_ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 11

I haven't tried the WBH chocolate cake, I have tried SW's chocolate cake from the Sensational Cakes book.

It's a little more dense then the Hershey's recipe, although I've never carved it either. If you need the recipe let me know and I'll type it out for you.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 11

I like the extender recipe

erinalicia Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 11

I can't use an extender recipe due to barley allergies. All cake mixes have malt or maltodextrin in them and that is a barley product. Thanks for the suggestion though. I would use the chocolate version of WASC if I could.

I think I'll try the WBH recipe even though I don't like the idea of using all of my butter in these cakes. I'd prefer to use oil. *sigh*

I knew I should have done this sooner and not procrastinated.

Thanks!

Deb_ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 11

If you don't mind let us know how the WBH chocolate cake is. I've always wanted to try that one, but I can't seem to pull myself away from the darn Hershey recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

erinalicia Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 11

I love the hershey's recipe. I tried it because I needed a scratch recipe and everyone loved it. They've asked for it for every single one of the cakes I've made for them. I hate to have to change the recipe on them for this cake since that is what they are expecting. Hopefully by using the dark cocoa it will still taste similar.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 11

I am gonna need a good carving chocolate cake so I would love someone to send it to me thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%