Cutting Styrofoam?

Decorating By Cakes1985 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm by Cakes1985

Cakes1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes1985 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone! I am planning on making my own wedding cake for the end of Sept, but my fiance said I have to make it out of styrofoam so that I am not rushed the week before the wedding. The only problem I am having so far is, how in the world do I make round styrofoam into topsy-turvy layers? He suggested cutting it with a band saw? Does anyone have suggestions? I thought about just cutting it with a knife, but what happens if it's not straight??

8 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 9

I just use a serrated knife that is longer than the diam of the cake dummies. Cuts nice and cleanly. To shape the sides, I trim them down slightly with the serrated knife then use fine sandpaper to remove any ridges. It gets them perfectly smooth.

Have you thought about just ordering pre-made Whimsical Cake Dummies? I think these two places carry them and offer shipping. Not sure what country you're in?

www.flourconfections.ca

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

antonia74 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 9

(Whoops, I thought I only hit "submit" once....multiple posts! icon_cry.gif )

antonia74 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 9

I just use a serrated knife that is longer than the diam of the cake dummies. Cuts nice and cleanly. To shape the sides, I trim them down slightly with the serrated knife then use fine sandpaper to remove any ridges. It gets them perfectly smooth.

Have you thought about just ordering pre-made Whimsical Cake Dummies? I think these two places carry them and offer shipping. Not sure what country you're in?

www.flourconfections.ca

antonia74 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 9

www.flourconfections.ca

antonia74 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 9

(Whoops, I thought I only hit "submit" once....multiple posts! icon_cry.gif )

Cakes1985 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, I didn't even know you could buy styrofoam in the whimsical shapes!! icon_biggrin.gif
I am from Canada as well, I will look into buying some pre-shaped foam, that might save me a lot of hassle!! Thank you very much for the help and the links!!

Cakes1985 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, I didn't even know you could buy styrofoam in the whimsical shapes!! icon_biggrin.gif
I am from Canada as well, I will look into buying some pre-shaped foam, that might save me a lot of hassle!! Thank you very much for the help and the links!!

Cakes1985 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%