Making A Daschund Out Of Fondant Help Please

Decorating By poohjnky2 Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm by poohjnky2

poohjnky2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohjnky2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 4

I have hardly ever worked with fondant. I have a client you wants a cake with lots of different things on it. One thing being a dachsund dog... I was thinking of making one and putting it on top of the cake. Any advice on how to get started and on anything really will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

3 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 4

I'm making one next month for my mom's birthday cake. I planned to use Aine's technique for a dog, and modify it to look more like my mom's dog.

I've made 3 fondant figures so far. The first was just gumpaste and looked dry and cracked. I learned here to mix 1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 fondant. I tried that for my Hello Kitty and it worked great. The last figures I made were for my beach cake and I did the same thing again.

The link to aine's dog technique on youtube is:

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 4

I made a little one (like 2" long) for my friend's cake a couple of weeks ago. I made a 'sausage' for the body. Rolled a little cone (looked like a sideways snowcone) for the head. And made little 'snails' for the back legs and little sausages for the front legs. And had a tail.

When approaching figures, I use Bronwen Weber's advice: Everything can be broken down into "carrots" (cones), "sausages" (rods) and "balls". My problem before that was trying to create the whole thing from one wad of fondant/gp...LOL! BW's approach made them successful and me less stressful! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

poohjnky2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohjnky2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 4

thank you all so much. The cake is for the 10th I am going to start practicing and hopefully I will be able to figure it out... If not I will come up with something else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%