Best Way To Deliver A Tiered Cake?

Decorating By Jecee Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 1:49am by Danielle1218

Jecee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jecee Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 15

Hi, I've always delivered my cakes unstacked, so when I'd get to the wedding I would stack them and put on the final decorations. I've heard of people stacking them ahead of time using a rod down the center for stability. Has anyone tried this? I'm afraid I would turn a corner to hard or have to slam on my brakes and the cake would topple over...

14 replies
Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 15

I don't know how people do that large dowl down the middle....I usually use a piece of foam core as the base for my "next" layer. I can't visualize how I could get one large dowl down 4 or 5 stacked cakes....anybody know???

I can just see me trying to do this and the whole cake caving in.

I deliver my cakes stacked....tiered ones I put together at the place of delivery.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 15

I never ever deliver already stacked. My vehicle is a rough ride as it is, not to mention I could never left that heavy thing. No way.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 15

I know a lot of people who deliver cakes stacked. I don't sell cakes but I've had a 3 foot cake transported stacked without having any problems. Sturdy supports and proper driving is the key.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 15

I always deliver cakes stacked. Traditional, topsy turvy...all of my cakes go ready to show. I use theWilton plastic tubes for dowelling the cake and I hammer four bamboo skewers into every tier, down through the 1 inch thick cardboard base, before placing the next one on. For a 4 or 5 tier cake I just skewer as far down as they will go. For my final tier I use a 36 inch sharpened dowel, stand on a chair and start hammering all the way down. I cut it so that 6 inches stick out to use a handle in transportation. When I get to the hall I cut it off.

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #6 of 15

1nanette, what do you do next? Once you've cut off the extra 6" from the dowel, do you frost over the spot in the cake where the dowel is, and what if the cake is covered in fondant? Do you put a decoration over it? Has a cake ever caved in on you during the hammering in of the dowel? Thanks so much for your help! I'll be doing a stacked cake in August and want to be prepared.

icon_smile.gif patti

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #7 of 15

pattiverdi, Typically there's a topper to cover the spot where the dowel is. If not you can plug with a bit of fondant or buttercream. No never any caving as the cake is resting on the dowels and the bamboo skewers. So as long as you are supporting your cake correctly you will never have caving.

I forgot to mention stacking your cake 8 hours or the night before helps a lot. I dont know if it gives it time to settle or what but it helps. Oh and when Im making stacked buttercream I always work with really cold cakes from the freezer but not frozen solid. I can slide the tiers a bit to center them without smudging. And I use parchment paper between the tiers to prevent the tiers from sticking together and to make easy sliding when center your tiers. HTH

Jecee Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:29am
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the info. I will have to try this, but seems scary!

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:42am
post #9 of 15

I always deliver my cakes stacked. I use the sps system and never worry about the stability of my cakes. Check out Leahs instructions in the How to forum. There is a sticky with pictures and instructions.

Jecee Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:50am
post #10 of 15

Great! Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle1218

I don't know how people do that large dowl down the middle....I usually use a piece of foam core as the base for my "next" layer. I can't visualize how I could get one large dowl down 4 or 5 stacked cakes....anybody know???

I deliver my cakes stacked....tiered ones I put together at the place of delivery.

It won't cave in. The first time I did the dowel-down-the-center, I was amazed at how easy the sharpened dowel went right thru those cardboards.

I did a demo at my BNI meeting last week. Finished decorating a cake while I made my speech. I ran the dowel dowel the center, then tipped the cake over at a 90 degree angle and told them, ".....this cake is going nowhere!" Yes, they were amazed! icon_biggrin.gif

Had a 5 tier cake that HAD to be assembled before delivery (wedding gown cake). Ran one large dowel thru the whole thing. Easy Peasy.

Danielle, you said you deliver your cakes stacked .... with no dowel in the center? Do you use SPS?

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 15

I deliver all mine with the wood dow through the center too. I use the wilton white dows as suppports in my wedding cakes, just because they look better and run a sharped dow through everything to. I delivered a three tier stacked this way over 3 hours away. Not a problem. My red a yellow rose cake in my pictures with the separaters in between each tier was delivered that way too. Very easy!

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks so much 1nanette and everyone! I'm making a practice version this week of August's cake, so I'll try it and follow your directions.

icon_smile.gif patti

Danielle1218 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

It won't cave in. The first time I did the dowel-down-the-center, I was amazed at how easy the sharpened dowel went right thru those cardboards.

I did a demo at my BNI meeting last week. Finished decorating a cake while I made my speech. I ran the dowel dowel the center, then tipped the cake over at a 90 degree angle and told them, ".....this cake is going nowhere!" Yes, they were amazed! icon_biggrin.gif

Had a 5 tier cake that HAD to be assembled before delivery (wedding gown cake). Ran one large dowel thru the whole thing. Easy Peasy.

Danielle, you said you deliver your cakes stacked .... with no dowel in the center? Do you use SPS?

I don't use cardboard...I use foam core that I have cut. I just can't seem to imagine a sharp dowel going through that foam core.

When I deliver a stacked cake, I use small dowels that I have cut in each layer to support the one on top of that.....does that make sense??

Danielle1218 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I don't use cardboard...I use foam core that I have cut. I just can't seem to imagine a sharp dowel going through that foam core.

When I deliver a stacked cake, I use small dowels that I have cut in each layer to support the one on top of that.....does that make sense??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%