Help With Frosting A Cake

Decorating By Rockland Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm by indydebi

Rockland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rockland Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 7

Can someone help me. When I try to frost my cake using buttercream, I have the hardest time. For some reason I can never get the edges frosted, it does not seem to stick. Every time I try to cover it up I pull frosting off. I chill the cake, crumb coat the cake. What the heck and I doing wrong

No matter what I do I do not get a smooth looking frosting. Should I be using the frosting tip. I get so upset.

I seem to be putting enough frosting on the cake.

I will try anything

Thanks

6 replies
sharon1800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon1800 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 7

Practice, practice, practice. I could never get it right when I first started and now it seems like every cake is a little better than the last--although I am still a beginner. Here are some tips:
-I crumb coat and allow that layer to sit for 15-20 mins until you can touch it without your finger getting frosting on it.
-Make sure you have the frosting at the right consistency. I go with a medium for icing. It might be your BC is too thick.
- Never lift the spatula from the cake. Frost the top using figure 8 type strokes. Then work on the sides pulling the spatula in figure 8 and then up to the top, never pulling the tool up off the cake.
-I recently tried the Viva method and it has saved me a few times. If you are trying this make sure you are using Viva brand towels. Some people also use parchment paper. Do not do that until it has fully crusted.

Good Luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 7

watch edna. a c/cer . she is on youtube.com.. and her website is designmeacake.com.. she also has one on stacking a cake.. also sharon zambito , a c/cer.. has a wonderful dvd on perfecting buttercream. her website is sharonssugarshack.com.. all of her dvds are wonderful.. check all this out.. i have been watching sharons dvd on buttercream this afternoon. she show both round cake and square. please check it out..hth

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:24am
post #4 of 7

Maybe your frosting is too thick? Try thinning it out a bit with some milk that might help. Also, if you get a chance, you should get Perfecting The Art Of Buttercream from Sharon Zambito. I had never really worked with buttercream before and got her dvd and it really taught me a lot! I had no idea that buttercream could be so smooth, as smooth as fondant is! But she is definetly a master! And like I said, I learned a lot. You probably can see her making the buttercream on Utube even.

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 7

I have the same issue. I end up eating more icing off my fingers than getting it on the cake!

Michelley1213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelley1213 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 7

It sounds like your buttercream could be too thick or you are pulling the spatula up and off when icing like another poster said. What is your consistancy? It should be thin to medium....
Hang in there icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 7

I vote with the "it sounds like it's too thick" comments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%