I'm Sure You Are Sick Of Me But I Need Help Again-Licensing

Business By rharris524 Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 1:02am by Deana

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I called my Dept of Agriculture and spoke to them at depth about licensing. Well, the only thing that they know about is permitting, not licensing (everyone here seems to keep referring to be licensed) and the kitchen that I'll be using it already permitted, up to code and all of that so they can't/won't/don't need to redo that. So, the kitchen is legal but how do I make myself and my business 'legal' and if I'm working out of a kitchen that is 'legal' but not in my name, can I still get insurance?

3 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 4

Go to your state website and look up business license and it should have what you need. Once you have your license you can get the insurance that you need.


leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 4

You'll probably need to tak a Sanitation class or a Food Handling class. You'll need to set up some form of business entity to get insurance.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 4

Not sure where you are located....

I am in Virginia and the state agricultural dept certified my kitchen. then I had to take that cert to the city to get my business licence. Some cities in Virginia won't allow you bake out of your home (even though the ag dept will certify anyone that meets the requirements), while others will....

Hope that helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%