Cracked Buttercream

Decorating By sweet-thing Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm by zdebssweetsj

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to this site and have to say I am completely obsessed with looking at all of your beautiful cakes! I do have a question. How do you keep your buttercream from cracking when you move the cake? I get a cake just right, move it and end up with little cracks all over! The pictures on here look so smooth! Sorry if this has been asked before, as I said I am a newbie. icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to our sweet corner of the interneticon_smile.gif Sounds like we will be seeing lots of you around here.

There are two reasons for that problem.
1) your bottom board is not strong enough. You may need to double your board or use a thin wood.
2) Your icing is too 'dry'. You don't want to add liquid as that will only thin it - what is needed is more fat (butter, Crisco, etc) to make it creamier.

One of both of these may be your problem.

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 6

My problem with cracking buttercream always comes from having too light of a cakeboard under the cake, especially when I have baked a double layer sheet cake. Like kakeladi suggested double your boards or try making your own wood ones. My husband is making masonite ones for me-he just doesn't know it yet. icon_biggrin.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the others - you probably need something stronger to put your cake on!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, a stronger base, like they^^said. You think you're being really careful when you move your cake, but the slightest shift in support causes your cake to bend or shift with the cardboard. The icing won't bend, but crack.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 6

Same as above stronger boards should be your solution try foam core boards. I even double or triple them, depending on weight of cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%