Baking Cakes In The State Of Georgia ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm by homebasedbaking

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 10

Hi All!!

I am just a hobbiest that enjoys making cakes. Is it legal for me to start charging for my cakes from my home kitchen?? I live in Georgia, I don't know where to go to find out what seems like a simple answer.

Thank You,

=)

9 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 10

You can call your local Health Department to find out for sure.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 10

I lived in Marietta for 11 years and although I did do cakes from my home, to get business started, it is illegal to bake and sell items made in your kitchen. What I did was go to a caterer and made a deal with them to rent space, by the month. Since it was already an inspected premise it was easy to get my license and they told me all kinds of things I needed for packaging, etc. Until you are licensed you can not even advertise unfortunately. Good luck and I hope you find a space to rent.
evelyn

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 10

in georgia, it is not legal to sell cakes from your home. you have to have a separte from your home kitchen (not in garage/basement etc). even to sell at the local flea markets you have to bake out of a comercial kitchen. i've checked into it. my way around it, i've seen other people on here that use the same idea, is to bake for "donations" and have a suggested donation price around the price the cake would be normally. not exactly fool-proof cause there is always going to be cheap-skates. example: the big rig driver going to a high school car wash and donating $5 to get his truck washed....had this happen too...lol...i hope this helps you a little bit. you should be able to find georgia dept of agriculture to answer any other questions. thumbs_up.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

I lived in Marietta for 11 years and although I did do cakes from my home, to get business started, it is illegal to bake and sell items made in your kitchen. What I did was go to a caterer and made a deal with them to rent space, by the month. Since it was already an inspected premise it was easy to get my license and they told me all kinds of things I needed for packaging, etc. Until you are licensed you can not even advertise unfortunately. Good luck and I hope you find a space to rent.
evelyn

not to contradict, but be careful with this also, as there are a couple laws about 2 businesses ruinng out of the same kitchen. a way around this would be to be quote/unquote hired by the catering company, just to do cakes of course.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:59am
post #6 of 10

I was able to run my business out of the caterer's as she had given me a letter on letterhead stating that I would be baking and using her address as my place of business. I was inspected and passed and got my business license that day, I should say a temporary copy, and later my permanent license.
evelyn

jenniferecarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferecarter Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 10

Does it have to a commercial kitchen, or just a separate kitchen??

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #8 of 10

In Georgia it actually varies by county and city. You will have to contact your local health dept and your local dept of agriculture to get a definitive answer for your specific locale.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:22am
post #9 of 10

And that "donation" thing isn't really legal either. Once you take anything for the cake you're selling and you're a biz and have to meet whatever your city/county/state requires. It's been discussed *extensively* on here.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 10

Here is the regulation for Home-Based Baking in Georgia. First contact your county health department since each county is different. I also live in Georgia and you will need a separate kitchen facility to prepare your cakes. I do know bakers who have built separate kitchens in their basement and garage, but you will need to talk to the health department to see what the reg is for your county.

Selling at a state sponsored Farmers Market is limited to non- profit organizations only. If you want to view the regulation visit this link: http://cookingwithdenay.com/home-based-bakers/state-cottage-laws/georgia/

Here is the link for the listing of counties in Georgia:
http://www.georgia.gov/00/topic_index_channel/0,2092,4802_5083,00.html

Good luck!

~Denay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%