Buttercream Sandy Texture...

Decorating By cherryz Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 3:19am by cherryz

cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:29am
post #1 of 19

i tried buttercream icing recipe having part shortening, butter & powdered sugar. the texture came out sandy to the finger's touch and got tiny holes in it when i spread it. WHY???? What is the secret to smooth it... icon_sad.gif

18 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:39am
post #2 of 19

Not a secret really but the trick is to make sure that your butter or shortening is at room temp and to mix at a slow speed.

If you mix it on high or for to long you will wind up incorporating air into the icing which gives you the holes.

cherryz Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:44am
post #3 of 19

tnx for the tip misslizzy... i iced another cake today with the same recipe... my shortening & butter are at room temperature. the icing is still 'sandy' texture... can i have other buttercream icing recipe that's smooth & still stand long hours in the heat????? please help... i have another order this coming saturday....

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 19

Try adding more liquid. It will make it a lot fluffier but it won't feel grainy. I've done it and it worked fine.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 19

sometimes the powdered sugar can be the problem...I only use cane sugar ps...did you use a house brand? I wasted a full recipe of Sugarshack's bc 'cause I used a cheap ps... icon_cry.gif

cherryz Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #6 of 19

tnx everyone.... i use powdered sugar... can anyone share me their buttercream icing recipe..... plssssssssss

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #7 of 19

indydebi has a wonderful buttercream recipe search indydebi in the frosting catagory

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:25am
post #8 of 19

It could be your shortening. I tried using the cheapest shortening I could find and it was gritty. I changed over to Crisco, no more gritty texture. I tried a local store brand because I love all of their products, usually better quality than the name brands and their shortening was fine too. It was just the really cheap stuff that was gritty.

cherryz Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 19

you got a point there. i just read from buttercream 101 that cheap shortening causes the grainy texture. i will try crisco on saturday. the cake will travel 3 to 4 hours by land. wish me success! ! ! thumbs_up.gif

cherryz Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #10 of 19

you got a point there. i just read from buttercream 101 that cheap shortening causes the grainy texture. i will try crisco on saturday. the cake will travel 3 to 4 hours by land. wish me success! ! ! thumbs_up.gif

cherryz Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #11 of 19

Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #12 of 19

I agree with the cheap shortening. I used 3 cans and it turned out gritty. Crisco didn't.

Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #13 of 19

I agree with the cheap shortening. I used 3 cans and it turned out gritty. Crisco didn't.

Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:15am
post #14 of 19

Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:16am
post #15 of 19

Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #16 of 19

Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #17 of 19

cherryz Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #18 of 19

Thank you all... i will keep u posted on the result... muah everyone

cherryz Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #19 of 19

Thank you all... i will keep u posted on the result... muah everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%