Please - Quick Help Coloring Fondant!!!

Decorating By ybeal Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm by nicolesprinkle

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to color white satin ice fondant blue for my whale cake but it is just looking like turqoise! plus it's getting really sticky from all the kneading, what do I do? Do I just use a whole lot of blue color and hope it gets to the color I want??

4 replies
val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

I had the same problem when I was using "sky blue" to color my fondant. It just looked turquoise! I have started using "royal blue" instead - but just a very little bit and it turns a light blue. For the stickyness, I usually just use a little bit of cornstarch on my hands.

Hope This Helps,
Valerie.

MrsCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsCupcake Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 5

For some colors I let it sit for a little while and the color gets stronger. Try letting it rest before adding more coloring.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybeal

I'm trying to color white fondant blue for my whale cake but it is just looking like turqoise! plus it's getting really sticky from all the kneading, what do I do? Do I just use a whole lot of blue color and hope it gets to the color I want??

First, put it in the fridge for ten minutes. This should help get it to firm up a bit.

Secondly, your color may need to "ripen." Take it out of the fridge after about fifteen minutes and let it sit on the counter for an hour. Then, if it's still turquoise, add just ONE drop of violet. A small one, if you can. This should pull the blue out more.

Yeah, wrap it up good in plastic wrap for both!

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 5

Also you can put a touch of black in it to darken it! Not to much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%