Hello All! New Member Here...

Decorating By chubbyalaskagriz Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:25am by bakermommy4

chubbyalaskagriz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbyalaskagriz Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:04am
post #1 of 16

I'm a newbie and look forward to hangin' out, meeting new folks and making new friends.

Your forums were recommended to me by another member, and so far I'm greatly enjoying things- this is a pretty interesting and happening place you've got!

I'm a former chef who cooked in a variety of kitchens for over 25 years- including resorts, cruise ships and remote-site oil-field camps in Alaska.

One of my personal passions has always been baking. Although some level of slingin' flour & sugar was a part of every cooking job I had- I was never a pastry chef, per se. But I have made wedding cakes and smaller projects out of my home kitchen through the years.

I'm now out of the industry and work a "regular", kinder/gentler job in a boring, unrelated field. I have found that visiting foodie-forums such as this helps me to keep a finger in all things food-related, so I look forward to being here amongst you all!

15 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:37am
post #2 of 16

Welcome to CC, you'll find here great friends and many tips and useful information related to many things, not only cakes. Hope you find yourself at home here, once again welcome and happy baking!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:39am
post #3 of 16

welcome, welcome

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:41am
post #4 of 16

it's good to be here. i'm just a beginner and i get help from time to time. i'm blessed.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:27am
post #5 of 16

Welcome to CC. It sounds like you will have a lot to share with us. Everyone here is so nice and sooooooo very helpful.

Beware... this site IS VERY addicting!!

Welcome again! icon_biggrin.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 10:09am
post #6 of 16

Welcome to CC icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 16

Welcome to CC! What part of Alaska are you from? (still wanting to visit there, haven't made it yet!)

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 16

Welcome, bet you have a lot of stories-and ideas-to share.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 16

welcome to Cake Central icon_smile.gif We are very glad to have you!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 16

Welcome to CC! At the top of the this forum (the General section), you will find a sticky folder with all of the cake acromyns!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 16

Welcome! I know you'll love this place, and it sounds like you have lots of valuable info to share!

Escaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escaliba Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:27am
post #12 of 16

Welcome from a fellow Newbie from across the seas!
You must have a lot of valuable experience to share with us.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 16

Welcome. My sister lives in Alaska, in Anchorage. I talked with her yesterday and she said she has such a hard time sleeping because it's always so light outside. You will pass those hours with ease on this web-site.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #14 of 16

Welcome!
Are you in Anchorage? I know there are several other CC'ers here who live in AK too. I grew up there myself and will be going back this summer for a few weeks.

You'll love Cake Central! Best place on the internet!

KimAZ

chubbyalaskagriz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbyalaskagriz Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:08am
post #15 of 16

Since a few have asked- I worked and lived all over Alaska for 13 years. Although currently I reside back in rural, central Illinois where I was born & raised.

First place I traveled to for work was a l'il Inn in Dutch Harbor on the island of Unalaska out on the Aleutian chain. Then I went to the Kenai Peninsula at a resort operated by Princess Cruises. Then I headed north to a gold mine camp on the Yukon River, then on to a hotel in Fairbanks- then on to the North Slope where I cooked at several oil camps on Alaska's northernmost coast up on the Beaufort Sea. And then I finally ended up at a silver mine camp on Admiralty Island across the channel from Juneau in south-east.

Alaska is a fantastic place. The most beautiful regions I've ever seen are in the north. I hope to go back often for visits, but right now I enjoy being back in the Mid-West near family again.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:25am
post #16 of 16

Welcome to cc and happy caking

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%