Can I Mix Fondant And Gumpaste?

Decorating By Country_girrl Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm by Country_girrl

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #1 of 6

I have to spell out "Happy Birthday Jennifer" letter by letter and then attach them to wire and insert into the cake. My question is, will a mixture of fondant and gumpaste create a dryer end result, I seem to have trouble with my fondant getting dry enough. For example: I cut out stars and circles, and the are still limp when I stand them up. I had this same trouble the last time I used fondant. I need something that will last instead of wilting like a dead flower.....

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE someone, anyone HELP!

5 replies
gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 6

My gumpaste is made by adding tylose powder to my fondant.

It says on the container: provides the paste with binding and structural properties that makes the paste last longer.
Specially formulated to resist humidity
Improved freeze and thaw stability
Low bacteria count gives long shelf life
Emulsifies fat to prevent oxidation
Flowers and showpieces dry remarkably fast, excellent to use in pastilage.

I use this and it hardens fast - in fact I used too much once and as I was making a ballerina she started hardening before I was finished with her!

patty5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty5 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_girrl

I have to spell out "Happy Birthday Jennifer" letter by letter and then attach them to wire and insert into the cake. My question is, will a mixture of fondant and gumpaste create a dryer end result, I seem to have trouble with my fondant getting dry enough. For example: I cut out stars and circles, and the are still limp when I stand them up. I had this same trouble the last time I used fondant. I need something that will last instead of wilting like a dead flower.....

Yes, you can use a 50/50 mix.

Country_girrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty5

Quote:

Great!!! Thank you so much for the info. I'm not really sure I am cut out for fondant. It really has caused me to challenge myself as well as cause me some unnerving results...

Country_girrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria

My gumpaste is made by adding tylose powder to my fondant.

It says on the container: provides the paste with binding and structural properties that makes the paste last longer.
Specially formulated to resist humidity
Improved freeze and thaw stability
Low bacteria count gives long shelf life
Emulsifies fat to prevent oxidation
Flowers and showpieces dry remarkably fast, excellent to use in pastilage.

I use this and it hardens fast - in fact I used too much once and as I was making a ballerina she started hardening before I was finished with her!

Hmmm...I will have to try this on a trial run... thank you so much for this input. I am taking notes !!!

Country_girrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty5

Quote:

This worked absolutely wonderful!!

Thank YOU very much!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%