Outdoor Summer Wedding...temp Control, Ect...

Decorating By joviolette Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm by djs328

joviolette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joviolette Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 5

So my second wedding cake is going to be late August in Wa. state. Assuming it's going to be warm, I have a couple questions.
The bride wants a whipped cream, strawberry filling and the cake will be frosted in buttercream, thinking Indydedi's might be the way to go. How long can a perishable filling like this sit out? Wedding's at 6:30 and I will be there. I can hold off a bit on displaying it if I have to. Should it be in the fridge until display or can it be in AC for a bit before going outside? Any other suggestions on buttercream recipes that hold up well? Thanks a bunch!

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 5

I think it would be best if you kept it in the fridge until 6. Then let it sit in a room with air conditioning. And then take it outside a few minutes before the cake has to be outside. Make sure that you're using a good internal support sytem so that you can move in and out of the fridge and outside.

joviolette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joviolette Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks...sounds good to me. Just gotta verify the fridge situation. Should plastic dowels be enough support or do I need one thru all the layers?

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I think it would be best if you kept it in the fridge until 6. Then let it sit in a room with air conditioning. And then take it outside a few minutes before the cake has to be outside. Make sure that you're using a good internal support sytem so that you can move in and out of the fridge and outside.

Sorry to jump in. But anyway's i have a outdoor wedding july11 and there are no AC buildings around the park where its going to be at . The Bride wants a RV cake i told her the Cream cheese icing wouldnt hold up outside.Im going to do Indydebi BC wonder if i used Creamcheese icing in the layers and not outside on the cakes if that would give enough CC flavor
And wonder how long it could be outdoors ?
Thank You

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Sorry to jump in. But anyway's i have a outdoor wedding july11 and there are no AC buildings around the park where its going to be at . The Bride wants a RV cake i told her the Cream cheese icing wouldnt hold up outside.Im going to do Indydebi BC wonder if i used Creamcheese icing in the layers and not outside on the cakes if that would give enough CC flavor
And wonder how long it could be outdoors ?
Thank You

There is a crusting Cream cheese icing recipe on here somewhere that does not require refrigeration...have not personally tried it but many others have mentioned it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%