Did I Charge Enough/too Much?

Decorating By cakequeen50 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm by tyty

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 16

This is my most expensive cake to date!
My cakes are $5 per slice to start for fondant. this cake served about 90 and I charged just over $15 per slice. It took 1.5 hours just to paint the "coat" around the cake. In my photos.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1402232

At the consult, after giving the price, the bride said to her groom" oh, that is very reasonable for this design" I about choked with a $1436 cake, but was I wrong?[/url]

15 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 16

I personally think it is worth it maybe more, but i do not know that much about prices I do not sell cakes yet, but I would pay that price for a cake like that I like beautiful things

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 16

I dont know if you charged enough! I guess it depends on where you live, and I don't know much about this stuff either. But, that cake took a long time. And the customer has to pay for your skill and time, not just flour and sugar. KWIM? I think your price was fair.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #4 of 16

Lol if you were reasonable you probably could have charged more! The cake is gorgeous. Mind sharing how you did the awesome drapey thing? Lol, don't know what to call it, but it's my favorite part!

cakequeen50 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 16

I studied the picture that the bride provided and decided that doing the "drape-y thing" in pieces would work best. I rolled out fondant very thin and scrunched it up, each piece was no bigger than 8x8" when scrunched.
I rolled the edges under so it would blend better. Then I placed them on the top tier first, overlapping them just a bit. Pulling and stuffing so there were no seams.
I found out that the bride made an announcement "If any of you haven't seen my cake, come over now before I cut it so you can see it" and everyone went over and started snapping pics....kinda cool!

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 16

Worth every penny-- I wonder what she was quoted from another baker, for her to give such a response off-hand.

You did an absolutely GORGEOUS job, by the way-- congrats!

Even if you feel you undercharged... almost $1500 is nothing to sneeze at. Congratulations, and you're going to be having more orders like these coming your way-- if I was you, I wouldn't be afraid to raise my prices accordingly. Especially now that you've got a feel for this kind of work.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 16

I don't charge for cakes yet either, but I think that is reasonable considering how elaborate your cake was! IT IS GORGEOUS!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 16

Beautiful cake! That's awesome that the bride thought that was a good price!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 16

Your cake is absolutely beautiful. When we were stationed in England and went to Harrods, I would always look at their cakes.... they were very beautiful and VERY expensive. I think your cake would fit right in with how beautiful it is. thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen50

This is my most expensive cake to date!
My cakes are $5 per slice to start for fondant. this cake served about 90 and I charged just over $15 per slice. It took 1.5 hours just to paint the "coat" around the cake. In my photos.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1402232

At the consult, after giving the price, the bride said to her groom" oh, that is very reasonable for this design" I about choked with a $1436 cake, but was I wrong?[/url]

Just a thought what do you charge for BC or do you do BC cakes?? By the way so Beautiful, WoW

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 16

I have to agree with everyone! I think you price is more then resonable and your cake is so so amazing!! great job!!

cakegirl29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl29 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 16

how did you make the coat? I am new to cake decorating. Would like to know that technique icon_lol.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 16

That cake is NICE!!!! You did a great job!

I'm not sure how to price something like that because I'm still under the $100 price mark. But the bride must have went to other bakeries if she was ok with an almost $1500 price tag!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 16

yes, well worth $1400+

cakequeen50 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 16

thank you all for the wonderful comments! I was happy that the bride loved it!

Cakegirl29, I gave a bit of explanation in a previous post above. HTH

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 16

For the work that went into that cake the price was fair. I'm sure your total hours were way up there. Your cake is breathtaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%