Icing... Tier Cake... Dumb Questions?

Decorating By annieluz Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 8:55pm by Rylan

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there...

I am making a 2 tier (6" on a 9") cake and it is to be covered in a sugar free icing recipe that I found (instant pudding mix, milk, cool whip. cream cheese)...

wouldn't the icing be "smooshed" when I place the top tier on the bottom tier? i am planning on using a cake board (i dont want to risk anything even if it is "only" a 6") so wouldn't the icing get stuck to the cake board when I go to remove the top tier to cut it and serve? will i be left with a 9" with no frosting? Is there a way to avoid this? What do you all do when you have a tiered cake covered in BC?

THANKS!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 4

If you use a crusting BC, then the board won't stick. Allow the icing to crust before assembling.

Cut the dowels level, or a micro-inch higher than the icing. Then the cake will be sitting ever so slightly above the icing, not actually "in" the icing.

Some coat the cake with powdered sugar; some use the powdered sugar and lay a circle of wax paper down, then set the tier in place.

Some recommend putting coconut as a barrier. I suggest caution on this one. If you get a client like me, who HATES coconut ...... well, I'd be demanding a full refund if my cake had any coconut on it what so ever.

The great news is there are a lot of tricks and ideas on this topic, so you'll get a lot of suggestions that will work.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 4

You can put a piece of waxed paper under the top tier. It will still stick, but it won't be as bad as if you try to lift the top tier off with nothing underneath it. Just cut the waxed paper a little smaller than the top tier.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 4

Try using dowels. You can use bubble tea straws but I think regular straws would do since it isn't very big.
Coat the whole 9" cake with icing just like your 6". I don't have experience with the recipe you are using so I'm not sure if the icing from your 9" cake would stick to the board from the 6" cake ( It doesn't seem seem like it's a crusting icing). In that case, make your dowels the same height as the cake and lay parchment paper in between.... that way the top tier sits on top of it, not having to stick so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%