Tinting Fondant - Gloves??

Decorating By ybeal Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 3:45am by MyDiwa

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 10

Okay this is probably a silly question icon_redface.gif but I have read that it is recommended to wear gloves when tinting fondant - does it matter what kind? regular latex gloves ?

TIA!

9 replies
hollymomof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollymomof2 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 10

I just tinted lots of fondant different colors and did not wear gloves and it was fine.

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 10

same here... just last night, i tinted my fondant brown (didnt have any choc fondant) and did not use gloves... to my suprise... NO STAINED HANDS!

good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 10

Some people are allergic to latex so it is better to avoid using it.

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 10

Great! I'd rather not wear gloves but I had visions of blue hands at work for 3 days! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 10

Really? No stained hands... honestly? What kind of gel color are you gals using?

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 10

i think the use of crisco prevents the color from staining your hands...

kathi2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathi2009 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 10

I think the gloves are more for sanitary reasons...not touching with your bare hands what other people will eat. Not so much the staining of your hands

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 10

i use the wilton colors that are sold at michaels... and I use crisco and I think that is what helps keep my hands from getting stained... however, I used the black yesterday to paint some fondant figurines i made and the tips of my fingers are purple even with the crisco... icon_sad.gif

While it is good for sanitary reasons, I just HATE the feeling of wearing gloves. I always start off wearing them and end up taking them off when working with fondant since I feel like I can't really get in to the fondant with gloves... does that make sense? LOL

I used to work in a few restaurants before I got into banking and everyone wore gloves... but to be honest, I am way cleaner than those places even without gloves because they would wear gloves and then handle money or touch something not so clean and go back to working with food without changing the gloves... When I became supervisor, those nasty habits changed real quick! but, still... I prefer working without!

HTH

icon_smile.gif

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #10 of 10

I always get stained hands. I use the Playtex latex and powder free ones you can get from any pharmacy or pharmacy area in the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%