Kitchen Aid Mixers - Need Help!

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:38am by andiesweet

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 14

I just started baking cakes a few months ago, and LOVE it! I got a Kitchen aid for my birthday and received the 5qt one. Is it worth going up to the 6qt one for about $50 more? (Macy's is having a sale this weekend so if it's worth it i'll do it) I'm asking all you professionals if it's worth it because you're more experience than I am! TIA!!!

13 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 14

Coming from someone who only has 4.5 quart KA, I think a 6 quart would be nice because you could make so much more of everything!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 14

Speaking of which, I didn't even know they made a 6 quart bowl for a KA. What kind of KA is it?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 14

I have the 6qt. pro and I love it. I can do 3 cake mixes at a time and a very large batch of BC.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 14

Yep-do it! The 6 qt pro has a heavier motor and will make a quad batch of buttercream. Think how much time that will save you! I would definitely do it, but the only one I've ever had is the 6 qt pro, so maybe I don't know.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 14

Yupper...I'd get the 6 Qt. Especially if you are going to do a lot of doubling and tripling of recipes. I once had the 4.5 but now that I have the 6QT I'm a very happy camper icon_biggrin.gif

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 14

I have the 6 qt as well and love it. KA has a 3 qt bowl that fits the same stand mixer, I use it a lot as well and love the 3 qt bowl to heat my syrups etc. very handy as a double boiler that goes straight to the stand after.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the info, rkayw thumbs_up.gif I'll have to look into getting a 3Qt bowl for the same reasons.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 14

I think I have one of each size they make. I have the pro 6 and the 4.5 on my counter at all times. I use my 6 most of the time. I do not do commercial baking, but when I bake, I bake a lot. The 4.5 is useful for smaller batches and works as a double boiler as well.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 14

Your welcome. I picked mine up from QVC.

~Kay

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 14

This is very helpful, thanks! I have a 4.5 that i'm borrowing my my inlaws who said they never used it, and the motor doesn't seem strong enough for the fondant when I make it. I end up having to take it out and do it mostly by hand, because it gets stuck. I'm going tomorrow to the sale and getting the 6 qt pro! icon_smile.gif woohoo! Oh, and btw, if anyone is looking for one, Macy's has them $100 off plus a 20% off coupon that came in the mail! icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #12 of 14

I usually mix the last of fondant by hand. I feel is is still too much for my 6 pro and I get a better "feel" for the right texture.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:30am
post #13 of 14

We had a 6qt mixers that we sent to our relatives. It's great because you can make bigger batches at a time.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:38am
post #14 of 14

My DH got me the 6Qt for Christmas, and I LOVE it,. Stronger motor , bigger bowl. I make fondant in it with no problem at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%