Large Anniversary Cake

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm by hammer1

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 7

I had a request for a large sheet cake - to feed 200. I was going to do stacked sheets. Does anyone have any suggestions on sizes? Its going to be a huge cake bt will it look all right?? Or if anyone has any suggestions on anything else I am open! I have to call her back tonight and I just cant think if this will be all right. ITs going to be a heavy one for sure! Sorry I have just been a little overwhelmed lately at my fulltime job and then cakes!!

Thanks

Angela

6 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 7

The biggest pan I have that will fit in my oven is a 16" square. If I do two layers it should serve about 100 not sure exactly. You would have to do two of those cakes. If you wanted just one you would have to put two of them together (side by side)and the cake would be really long. Just a idea. What size of pans do you have? Or just do a bunch of 9 x 13/11 x 15 cakes to make one large one. Did that before too. My husband cut large plywood boards to put on so it would be sturdy.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 7

Since it is going to be a sheet cake, you should consider doing a double full sheet stacked. Of course it is going to be super heavy so make sure you have a strong and sturdy support base to avoid cracking on you.

Hope that helps

angelcakes5 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 7

I was thinking of doing 4 - 12x18 sheets so the cake would be 18x24 double. It will probably serve more than 200.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 7

........ thinking of doing 4 - 12x18 sheets so the cake would be 18x24 double. It will probably serve more than 200............

Yes, that should serve just over 200 - about 215 if cut into 1x2x4 slices.
Words of wisdom:
use a *very!* sturdy board - at least 2 or 3 full sheet boards glued together......better yet get a sheet of plywood cut to size, and use a cakeboard under each cake that is glued to the plywood w/double stick tape or glue.
Ice each cake on the sides separately, then push them together to ice the tops.
It's not easy to work on such a large cake but it can be done.
Hope you have a large turntableicon_smile.gif I had a lg lazy susan......maybe 14". I would put it on top of my BakeryCrafts on (10"?) so it elevated the cake well for icing it, then remove the smaller one to work on the top of the cake.

angelcakes5 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks kakeladi

I usually put all my sheets on plywood covered boards, this one for sure! I just recently purchased a turntable, never had one before so I think I may be all right not using one for this, even though having the turn table is alot easier!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

we just did one of these for a graduation- 4 12x18 on a 1/2 sheet plywood board. the board measured 36 x 40 I think. make sure you can get the board through your doorways and into your car. you will need nelp loading and unloading.
the cake was very impressive...check out the one in my photos.
hammer1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%