Cake Crumbles When Cut?! Help

Decorating By Crissy_Cakes Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm by indydebi

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone, good morning!
So I have a dilemma that I'm hoping someone on here knows what's going on.

I was notified by my friend a few hours ago that the cake I gave them, though beautiful and yummy, actually started to crumble when cut. So much so that by the 5th or 6th cut they were apparently scrapping the cake onto plates?! I'm completely mortified by this because I not only want my cakes to be pretty, they should hold up when cut. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or what can be done to prevent this from happening the next time?
Here's what I used:
WASC Recipe
Coconut Fill
HR Buttercream Crumb Coat
Satin Ice Finish

Cakes were baked at 325 in Fat Daddio 8""x4" and 6"x4" pans with the Wilton Baking Strips, cooled over night on racks, and then wrapped and refridgerated for a day before stacking and crumb coat.

Now here's the kicker, the cake was delivered to a beach wedding that was held on the actual beach. The cake sat outdoors in the 90+ degree Florida weather for 45 mintues before being cut.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm working on getting my liscense and I can't have this happening when I'm trying to build a client base.
THANK YOU!

8 replies
Crissy_Cakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 9

No one??? icon_cry.gif

BUMP

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 9

I dont know, my thought is do you always put the cake in the fridge? Some on here say not too because it dries the cake out?? But instead put in the freezer and the cake will be moist.

Hope someone replies for you!

Sorry!

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 9

Now that you mention it, the last time I made WASC, it crumbled when cut. I'm curious to hear responses too.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 9

the wasc recipe has always been a great cake to cut and serve for me. Any cake will crumbly if the server does not wipe off the blade after every other cut, the build up of fondant and sticky icing makes for a rough cut causing crumbling. I very much doubt it was the recipe but the server causing the crumbling.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 9

i agree with sweetcakes about the server not cleaning knife. that will do it everytime.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 9

I have had this happen when the cake knife/server was not sharp. Do you know what the cake was cut with?
Good Luck

Crissy_Cakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:02am
post #8 of 9

Good point about cleaning the knife, I'll make sure to bring that up to the wedding coordinator the next time I talk to her - she made it a point to say she doesn't wish to have that happen again.

I think I'm going to do a little experiment this weekend to see if my WASC recipe needs to be altered.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 9

I had the same problem/question when I cut my first fondant cake. Turns out it was the knife. A straight edge, non-serated knife works MUCH better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%