Improvise A Shamrock Cutter...or Where To Buy One In L.a.??

Decorating By ceshell Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm by ceshell

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:39am
post #1 of 3

Yikes, my good friend asked if I'd be interested in making a cake for her mom's birthday. I adore her mom and jumped at the chance. However, the birthday party is this SUNDAY icon_eek.gif !! Her mom is Irish so I'd love to do a scattering of tons of little shamrocks (like, maybe 1" big)...but that just sounds impossible without a cutter. Does anyone have any clever suggestions of how to make an armload of shamrocks WITHOUT a cutter??
Or - are there any Los Angeles/O.C. area CCers who can recommend a shop that might carry a mini shamrock cutter? I know I'm reaching here; if it was March I could find a ton of them in honor of St. Patty's day but in the middle of summer they're not exactly going to be a popular item. I need to find a decorating store that carries tons of cutters year round.

(I'm also desperate for a gumpaste butterfly cutter (the kind that makes an impression too) but I've never seen a cake shop around here that sells gp cutting sets, other than the Wilton stuff...so I suppose now I am just whining LOL.)

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thank you!!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #2 of 3

Try calling the scrapbooking stores in your area. I use scrapbook punches to cut tiny shapes out of fondant (it give much cleaner edges especially on litlte stuff) all the time, and as long as you roll it thin enough, it's easy and fast. I don't have a shamrock punch, but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to find.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 3

Awesome suggestion. There is a scrapbook store pretty close to me, I'll check it out icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%