Another Ball Pan Question ~

Decorating By kellertur Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm by Wesha

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 6

Is there a trick to getting the large ball pan cakes to bake without the top over-browing and the bottom under-baking? If I'd left it in any longer tonight, the top would have become toast.

Any advice on these pans would be appreciated.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:37am
post #2 of 6

In using the soccer ball pan and a few failed attempts, I learned that you can put a pan of water on the lower rack under the pan, use a flower nail, and drop the oven temp to 300-325 and it bakes up great everytime (or has for me). It does take quite a bit longer to bake in this pan. The soccer ball (see my basketball cake photo), took me about 1:20 to bake. Evertime I did it without the water, it was mush in the middle and overbaked on the outside.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #3 of 6

Thanks chilz822 -this will probably work for the large cupcake wilton pan, too, huh?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:47am
post #4 of 6

After my past failures and successes with the soccer ball, I personally would do it with the cupcake also (but that's just me!)
I tend to error on the side of caution
icon_biggrin.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I tend to error on the side of caution
icon_biggrin.gif

Me too! But it makes me such a procrastinator!! I haven't done nearly all the cake techniques I read about for fear of missing a tutorial that would make it so easy icon_redface.gif

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 6

I have not had that experience yet, not to say that it will not happen. I do however, bake all my cakes on 325 degrees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%