Beach Ball Fondant Decorations

Decorating By sdbrown Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 10:04am by FlourPots

sdbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdbrown Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am new to CC and making my 1st 3 tiered cake for my son's 1st birthday. I need help on tips on how to make beach balls out of fondant to use to decorate the beach themed cake?

4 replies
blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 5

I've not done it with fondant, but I've done it with clay. If you want a ball with six colors, make six balls, all the same size, one of each color. With a really sharp blade, cut each ball into 6 parts, like the segments of an orange. Then just piece each ball together with the color arrangement you like, dab a little water between color segments for glue, and roll them into a smooth ball. It takes a little finesse to keep from muzzing the colors up, but it works well.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Of course that only works for small balls. For larger, you might need a foam core and just lay rolled fondant pieces over it. With piping gel, or something else, as glue.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 5

I made one for the beach cake in my pics. I rolled three colors (red, yellow and blue) in to ball of the same size. Then I gently pushed them together and used my hands to roll (while still gently pushing them together) them into one larger ball. Hope that helps!

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 5

I made two on my pool cake. I just rolled white fondant in balls then used food safe coloring pens.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:04am
post #5 of 5

Here's a template...if you're able to scale it way down, it should work for you: http://www.purlbee.com/storage/largeball.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%