Which Icing To Use?

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 4:02am by Kellbella

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 5

I just had a nurse from work ask me to make her a cake for the 4th of July, she will be my second "paying" customer! She's asked for a sheet cake icon_surprised.gif ( whatever she wants I'll do) but she say's they are going camping and the cake will be "in and out" of the fridge till the 4th. She's leaving on the 2nd.

I'm fairly new to CC and have skimmed the recipe site, but want others' opinions on a good BC or comparable icing to use that will not have to be in the fridge the whole time. Sorry so long!

TIA

4 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 5

I just used Indidebi's BC recipe for a grad cake that was going to be out for a while and it was on a hot day. It held up beautifully!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, Indydebi's. I've used it before and it holds up better to the heat than "typical" buttercream. But, I only use two versions of BC so I guess I'm no expert.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 5

Buttercream breaks down at 85 degrees F. You don't need to keep it in the refrigerator unless it's outside air-conditioning and hotter than 85 degrees unless of course it's in direct sunlight and less than 85 degrees.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for the input! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%