Shortbread Mold Question

Baking By eatdessert1st Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm by cindy58

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 5

I have a lovely brown bag shortbread mold (the fruits and flowers one). I've tried several different recipes and techniques but still can't get a good imprint on the cookies. Does anyone have any tips on how to do it? I think they'd make really nice gifts.

Melanie Mc.

4 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 5

With the molds I have, you actually bake in the mold and turn out afterwards.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 5

I bake in the mold too. I follow the Brown Bag classic shortbread recipe as written. I think the temp of the dough and the butter and the mold has something to do with a good impression. I've compared mixing it all by hand, or using the mixer to cream the butter and conf. sugar. At first I thought they turned out better when done all by hand (a workout!), but then they worked well using the mixer too. I chill the mold in the frig first, spray it with Pam and then press the dough in very well and prick it after that. Then I put that pan in the frig again while I'm getting the second mold ready. (I usually bake 2 pans at a time). I put the cold molds in the oven without disaster.

I'm usually a Costco or Sam's Club butter user. The only time I really had them funk out was when I used Kroger butter. (It seemed too wet and the dough partially stuck in the pan.)

Here's the recipe:
http://www.shortbreadpan.com/recipes.html

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies. I do bake it in the mold and turn it out when it has cooled but the impression is just barely, if at all, visible. I spray w/ Bakers Joy and wipe out the excess. I usually use Land o lakes butter. I don't overbeat the dough with the mixer but haven't tried it by hand, yet. Maybe that'll make a difference?

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 5

Well, you could give it a try with the hand mixing, also try chilling your mold before you fill it, and then for 15 or so minutes before baking. Press the dough into the mold very firmly. I also handle the dough as little as possible when blending the flour in and pressing in into the mold. I set my timer to tip them out of the molds at the right time.

The farm animal mold makes really cute little cookies. I've also got a bunch of cookie stamps too that I've been trying to get a good impression with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%