Traveling Very Far With A Cake?

Decorating By Confectioners_Conundrum Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm by Molly2

Confectioners_Conundrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to make the cake for a friend of ours that lives about 4-5 hours from our home. I have a mini-van with the back seat out for more room...but there will be luggage and camping stuff back there. The cake is going to be 1 teir, 2 layers covered with buttercream and fondant accents. How in the WORLD do I get it there in one peice?? Also, I would wait to do some of the decorating when we get there, but it's a suprise b-day party and it needs to be ready upon arrival!

2 replies
Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 3

Non Slip matting is your friend! lol! I've traveled 3 times to my sister's house (4 hour drive away) with decorated cakes. I've always put them on the floor of the van, well covered in the cake box. If the board didn't fit well in the box, I would put no slip matting under the board in the box, then put no slip matting under the entire box on the van floor. If you have a lot of gear, just make sure there is nothing that could slide into the cake or fall on top of it. I usually put my cakes in the middle of the 2 middle row rear seats. Then it is not back with the cargo..... Another option would be to store the smaller cake box in a big box (I use Huggie's boxes sometimes) with handles so that the sides of that box will protect it if anything should slide into it!!

Does that help at all? Does what I wrote even make sense? lol! One of those days...

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 3

Lil Baby Cakes

I travel every year in the month of July (about 31/2 hours) with a cake for my nephews birthday if you look in my pics (UT Football Stadium) last year I made a football stadium cake, the whole University of Texas Stadium I used the big plastic tubs with the non slip matting under it and I traveled early morning because here in Texas it gets hot I was able to stack these tubs to give me room for my luggage. We all arrived with no incidents good luck

Molly
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%