What To Teach In 3 Hours?

Decorating By SarahJane Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 2:06am by rharris524

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:04am
post #1 of 8

I'm teaching a three hour beginning cake decorating class for a group at my church. They have no cake decorating experience. What would you teach in that 3 hours? Ideas would be appreciated.

7 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:54am
post #2 of 8

I would teach the basics on torting, crumb coating and covering a cake with buttercream. Then the piping of the border. That is going to take at least 3 hours, don't you think? If not throw some fondant their way and let them roll out flowers. Teaching a beginning class sounds like so much fun. Your church group will love it!

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:57am
post #3 of 8

I guess if it were me I would start with the basics. How to make bc icing, icing consistency, filling decorater bag, correct bag position and then maybe go over a few of the icing tips and techniques. There's not a lot you can teach in 3 hours unless they already know the basics. Hope this helped. Good luck.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:27am
post #4 of 8

i agree with all the above and maybe if you have time you could also get them to practice piping writing eg happy birthday etc

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 8

In Hawaii thumbs_up.gif I wish I could come icon_cry.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 8

It's a GREAT place to live!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 8

I'm in Aus but went to Hawaii last year for holiday, had a great time icon_biggrin.gif

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #8 of 8

I agree with the PPs but I'd also try to do something 'fun' but easy like maybe drop flowers or using the star tip to fill a simple design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%