What Kind Of Butter Cream Does Duff Use?

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm by chefjess819

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 10

I paused and slowly forwarded an episode of ace of cakes(I think it was the Leno show one) and got out the word "MARK" from the tub does anyone know what brand this could be?

9 replies
RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 10

I bet its BakeMark, i did some searching on google.

Cakeandcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandcupcakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 10

So he doesn't make it from scratch? For a $1000 base price I would expect it to be from scratch. Not to start the "great debate" again, but I'm surprised.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 10

shoot...if i made as many cakes per week as he did i would deffinately go with premade. lol...jk. kinda shocked me, too. but..whatever works! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:37am
post #5 of 10

Wow!! Seriously? I remember him making BC with Paula Deen once, or someone, I don't remember, and it was definitely a meringue based BC. icon_smile.gif

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:02am
post #6 of 10

That would be crazy if he uses premade icing. The thing is when you make icing you still have to put it in something, I use empty fondant buckets for icing all the time.

lildragon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildragon Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #7 of 10

I saw an episode when the crew was in Hawaii and they made their own buttercream. It was meringue based. If I was paying that amount for a cake, I would hope they made their own buttercream! icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:23am
post #8 of 10

this question. was asked a few months ago.. the recipe is on food network.. i have it. if you don,t find it.. let me know.. its like the smbc.. but he doesn,t cook anything.. hth

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 10

Duff calls his buttercream French Buttercream. The recipe and Duff's instructions are below:

10 egg whites
15 ounces granulated sugar
2.5 pounds unsalted butter, at room temperature

NOTE: Make sure to have a completely clean and dry mixing bowl when you start your process. Any fat or liquid at all in the bowl will stunt the protein development of the albumen and you will not have a proper meringue at the end.

Start whipping egg whites slowly in your mixer using the whip attachment until foamy. Increase the speed of the mixer and slowly start adding the sugar until all the sugar is incorporated. Once all the sugar is in, increase the speed of the mixer even more and whip until the mixture is shiny and stiff. You now have a meringue. You know when your meringue is done when you pull out the whip, hold it horizontally, and if you have what looks like a "sparrow's beak" on the end of the whip.

Replace the whip, turn the mixer on medium and start adding the butter a bit at a time. Once all the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer on high and let mix; depending on the weather, the buttercream could take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to form. You will know when it has formed when you hear the motor of the mixer start to slow down and whine a little bit; also, when you first add the butter, your meringue will break down and look weir and this is what you want. When the buttercream is done, the mixture will be homogenous, consistent, and tasty.

Remove the buttercream from the bowl and transfer to an airtight container. Buttercream can be kept at room temperature for a few days or in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks, but always use warm buttercream when icing a cake.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 10

oh yeah! i remember the hawaii episode! cause the french woman (sry cant remember her name right now) messed up the first batch and had to redo the entire batch. so i guess he might make the icing himself then put it in empty buckets as someone said earlier. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%