Baker's Choice Cake With Some Challenges! (With Pics)

Decorating By tatania199 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm by Cakey1865

tatania199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatania199 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 2

So, I'm making my brother in law's wedding cake.

I haven't made a wedding cake in two years and my brain no longer thinks in cake!

Here's the guidance I've gotten. Their colours are black, white and deep, deep fuchsia (almost red/purple). After thinking about it, they are thinking maybe something that plays off of their china (elegant stripes and dots):

And this was a cake that caught their eye (but no flowers):

But ultimately, it's totally up to me!

Obviously, because it's for family, I want to do something a little beyond their expectations. Plus, I don't get to do cakes very often anymore, so it's fun to go a little overboard.

I'll be using fondant. And I was thinking dragees for the dots rather than piped royal, just for a more dramatic, modern look. Maybe if I go simple, I'll brush the body of the cake in lustre dust? You know - something less typical and more dramatic. But I'm really, really open to suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

The challenge - it needs to travel for 2 and 1/2 hours. And once there, I won't have a ton of time to fuss with it so it essentially need to be ready to stack and display upon arrival (ie. not a lot of finish piping or anything).

I love black and white cakes and I think the fuchsia, if added well, could be very dramatic and modern...I'm just having trouble getting there. In my head, I'm not putting it together well.

So, brilliant decorators...any suggestions for me? Inspiration pictures?

I want to make this cake amazing!

1 reply
Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 2

I would leave it like that cake and just add a fusia strip...maybe change it to square

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%