Returning Cake Boards/drums!

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 2:01am by Unlimited

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 28

Ok, obviously I need to buy more because people take their good ol' time returning the boards! Do you give a time limit for returning boards? How many boards do you own, baking from your own kitchen?
I have more cakes to do this week and I have no boards left...I guess I have to start calling people for them back icon_mad.gif

27 replies
DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 28

When someone picks up a cake, I tell them it's $5 for the cake drum and if they bring it back soon, I'll give them the $5 back! That may sound tacky, but I'm tired of having to replace them - they are not cheap!! I did a cake this past Saturday and when I opened the front door on Sunday morning the cake drum was on my porch! LOL! How's that for a quick return?!?!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 28

Are you reusing the lightweight foil covered foam cake drums? Are the cakes on anther cake board on top of that drum? Do you re cover them with new foil? Do they get damaged with repeated use? I have not purchased and of these thick foam foil covered drums yet because I though they were really nice but a little expensive to just use once and throw away.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 28

Ugh... I don't even deal with boards anymore. I just add the cost into the cake.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 28

The cardboard covered in foil boards are supposed to be disposible. Just allow for the cost in what you are charging for the cake...but my wedding boards or tiles I get a deposit on and they need to be back asap....or I cash the check.

Kerry_Kake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 28

No, I'm talking about the cake drums. I also have some thick heavy duty boards my dad made for me. That's another thing people tend to rip off all the foil even if it's in good shape. Do you recover each time? I don't use another cardboard circle on top of the drum. I only use those inside of my cake. I don't ask for them back. The drums cost like $10 a drum. I don't think people will buy cakes from me if they have to purchase that board. However I really like the drums because they are light weight compared to the ones dad made for me.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 28

I would just include the cost of the cake drum in the overall price of the cake. Personally, the thought of re-using a drum sounds a bit unsanitary. Another member recently submitted a reply where she said that she uses large 1/2 inch foam core boards from the craft store to make drums (I'm going to try it myself). She said that you can get several from one sheet, and they are very sturdy. As a plus, you can use the 40% off coupon that they normally have (Michael's or Hobby Lobby) to get even more bang for your buck!

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 28

I just buy foam core from Wally World and double it or triple it depending on how heavy the cakeis. I add it in to the price of the cake. I can get a sheet for like $3........and get several boards from it. Hope this helps!

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 28

I also use the foam boards from Michaels for my drum board and they work great. I use the coupons and a great deal. They are lightweight and strong and I do get a couple of them out of one sheet. The last cake I did was a four layer wedding cake and it held up just fine. No need to get it back either.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 28

I use masonite throughout my cakes (under every tier as well as the presentation board) and I build the cost of it into the cake as a consumable item. The only items I ever need returned to me are cupcakes stands (and they pay a hefty deposit so that if it isn't returned by the agreed upon date, I keep the deposit). Everything else (support, board, specialty separators, etc) are all charged to the customer and theirs to do with however they wish.

Kerry_Kake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 28

Reusing a cake drum is not unsanitary if it is recovered each time! I live in a small place so people should have no problem returning the drums. It's just laziness on their part! Trying to figure out a set time for retuns...like 1 or 2 weeks max. Probably should be one week like movies, lol! Late charges apply...LOL!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I use masonite throughout my cakes (under every tier as well as the presentation board) and I build the cost of it into the cake as a consumable item. The only items I ever need returned to me are cupcakes stands (and they pay a hefty deposit so that if it isn't returned by the agreed upon date, I keep the deposit). Everything else (support, board, specialty separators, etc) are all charged to the customer and theirs to do with however they wish.

Where do you get masonite? Is it easy to cut?

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude

I would just include the cost of the cake drum in the overall price of the cake. Personally, the thought of re-using a drum sounds a bit unsanitary. Another member recently submitted a reply where she said that she uses large 1/2 inch foam core boards from the craft store to make drums (I'm going to try it myself). She said that you can get several from one sheet, and they are very sturdy. As a plus, you can use the 40% off coupon that they normally have (Michael's or Hobby Lobby) to get even more bang for your buck!

The foam boards are half off this week at Hobby Lobby. I bought a 22" x 30" - half an inch thick - for $2.50. It's light weight, but strong.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

Where do you get masonite? Is it easy to cut?

Just google "masonite cake circles" and you'll come up with a bunch of places... you don't need to cut them. They come in all the standard cake sizes (although for custom boards for larger cakes and carved cakes I get it at Home Depot)

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

Reusing a cake drum is not unsanitary if it is recovered each time! I live in a small place so people should have no problem returning the drums. It's just laziness on their part! Trying to figure out a set time for retuns...like 1 or 2 weeks max. Probably should be one week like movies, lol! Late charges apply...LOL!

Here's the wording I use on my equipment deposit contract. Maybe you could adjust it to suit your needs. The reason I require the equipment to be returned within 3 days is so I'll have it available to me for the following week's cakes and also to prevent allowing enough time for them to forget.

"I agree to return the following items within 3 days of this contract, clean and in good condition, at which time my deposit will be refunded in full. If items are not returned within this time period, a late fee of $5.00 per day will be assessed up to 14 days. After 14 days, deposit will not be refunded."

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #16 of 28

Oh, yeah. No, I don't want anything back. Unless I used some sort of specialty something or other, it is worked into the price of the cake. I don't have the patience or the desire to keep track of this and that and charge deposits, and depend on something like that for someone else's cake next week. No way.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #17 of 28

omg, if you're worried about a $5 piece of cardboard, just add it to the price of the cake. As a customer, I'd be aggravated to have to spend $7 worth of gas to return a $5 cardboard thing! I think that's nuts.

I also find it unsanitary to re-use disposable items. If you can't run them thru the sanitizer process to make sure they are sanitary, then don't re-use them! You have no idea what's been done to that board before you got it back. An earlier post asked about replacing foil ... if the foil isn't being replaced, I find that even more unsanitary.

In the overall cost of the cake, these are pennies, people. Price the cake right and you wont' have to worry about this stuff.

I don't even ask for my masonite boards back, on the rare occasions that I use them. It's part of the cost of the cake.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #18 of 28

Amen! Cake drums are for people who don't want to take the time to cover their own cardboard with foil, so if you're going to recover a used one with foil, why not just start with a plain ol' cheap stack of circles that are disposable to begin with!

Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #19 of 28

Thanks for all your input. So nobody using the drums and has them returned?? icon_rolleyes.gif I do a lot of sheet cakes, so what do you use for disposable for them? It needs to be strong enough so the cake doesn't move to damage my edible images.
Don't want to take the time to cover their own with foil....it takes just as much time to recover the drums icon_confused.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #20 of 28

Really...no, I don't want to see them again, until it's time for their next cake! Like Indy said, work the $5.00 into the cake cost. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:

I do a lot of sheet cakes, so what do you use for disposable for them?

I use 3 cardboards covered in foil. Takes less than 4 minutes to get them covered.

Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyCakes

When someone picks up a cake, I tell them it's $5 for the cake drum and if they bring it back soon, I'll give them the $5 back! That may sound tacky, but I'm tired of having to replace them - they are not cheap!! I did a cake this past Saturday and when I opened the front door on Sunday morning the cake drum was on my porch! LOL! How's that for a quick return?!?!

I wouldn't appreciate that.... ants and all! I'd rather pay them an extra $5 to throw it away than to bring it backicon_surprised.gif)

indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

I wouldn't appreciate that.... ants and all! I'd rather pay them an extra $5 to throw it away than to bring it backicon_surprised.gif)

Bingo! thumbs_up.gif As I said, if you can't run it thru your dishwasher and/or sanitizing cycle, you have no business re-using it anyway.

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Bingo! thumbs_up.gif As I said, if you can't run it thru your dishwasher and/or sanitizing cycle, you have no business re-using it anyway.

Ok, I really don't get it, you thinking it's not sanitary when I would re-cover them with new foil. It's no different than covering disposable cardboards. It's new foil on whatever you choose to put it on! Right?!

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #25 of 28
Quote:

Ok, I really don't get it, you thinking it's not sanitary when I would re-cover them with new foil. It's no different than covering disposable cardboards. It's new foil on whatever you choose to put it on! Right?!

I cardboards I buy are made for the purpose ofputting under a cake. I'm not recycling used pizza rounds and I'm not cutting rounds from the sides of photocopy boxes (which I've read that some CC'ers do and that REALLY bothers me).

If covering them is all it takes, then call your health dept and ask if you can save all the pizza boxes & cardboards and use those after you're done eating pizza. I'll just bet they say no. icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #26 of 28

Ok, it's just icky. There.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #27 of 28

ok, on cardboard...i have purchased new shipping boxes from wal mart to use as sheet cake boards, covering with foil or wrapping paper/saran wrap. would you do this? or should i break down and buy the precut ones specially made for cakes?

Unlimited Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I cardboards I buy are made for the purpose ofputting under a cake. I'm not recycling used pizza rounds and I'm not cutting rounds from the sides of photocopy boxes (which I've read that some CC'ers do and that REALLY bothers me).

If covering them is all it takes, then call your health dept and ask if you can save all the pizza boxes & cardboards and use those after you're done eating pizza. I'll just bet they say no. icon_rolleyes.gif

That's just it... there are disposable cardboards, meant to be used once and discarded.

My thoughts exactly on the re-gifted pizza circles!!! If the customer removes the messy icing foil before returning to you, and they find pizza goo or prior knife cuts on the drum hidden under your new foil, wouldn't you be embarrassed that you reused such a relatively cheap and disposable item?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%