How Do You Fool An Edible Image Printer Into The Right Color

Baking By kaw123 Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm by kaw123

kaw123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaw123 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 6

I do not own an edible image printer but I have a place that I can have things printed. I have to do an edible image for a company that has a pale brown logo. I took it to be printed and the logo prints out reddish/pink. They tell me that because it's edible ink and not regular printer ink, the colors do not always turn out the same.

Does anyone know how to fool the printer into making the correct or close to correct color? Should I tweak the logo to look dark brown for it to turn out a light brown?

Any suggestions??? Thanks!

5 replies
riSHEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riSHEL Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 6

This happened to me last month. I was doing the USD logo and it came out with pink mountains! I had all my settings as instructed on the EI packing. I was SO disappointed. Went to print another sheet, and my accident, forgot to change the settings and it came out perfect! YAY! The instructions for the EI said to check "Vivid Photo" in the Effects portion of the printer setup. Uncheck that and you should hopefully have the proper colors show up. Hope this helps. Good luck!

kaw123 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks. I'll ask the place to look at that setting.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 6

I installed today my printer and I did a few test...
I tested a red logo.. but forgot to check if it was in rgb or cmyk... so the first try it came out magenta! and the next try (I've put the image to be CMYK in photoshop), perfectly red! icon_smile.gif

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:41am
post #5 of 6

I have had this happen to me, too. I, fortunately have dabbled enough with some graphics programs to be able to tweek the color just right. I have problems with photos of people printing too red, so I just adjust the color of the photo on the screen to have more green so it prints correctly. Since I have my own printer, I usually run test prints on regular paper to check the quality before I print on EI paper. I was having problems with my black one time, so I made the image as dark of a blue as I could get and it actually looked black when it printed!

See if they will run a regular sheet of paper thru to check the colors and try to adjust accordingly.

kaw123 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, they are very good about running a test sheet before you purchase the EI sheet. I have asked my client to send me a .eps or .ai file so I can change it to CMYK instead of RGB. I only have a .jpg right now. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%