Good Grief~ 400 Servings??? Anyone Had One This Large?

Business By kellertur Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 3:26am by indydebi

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #31 of 83

I did a cake for 400 people with another cake friend of mine. We did a 14/10/6 inch round layers...top tier separated with pillars and flowers in between. I think we had 6 or 8 8inch rounds going around the main cake all with fresh flowers on top. The main cake was raised up a bit as well. Then we also had 3 extra large sheet cakes that were cut in the kitchen.

I did most of the work...and it was really not that hard at all. I baked the cakes ahead of time and froze it. I have lots of freezer and refrigerator space though so that was no issue baking in advance.

Good luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

[
ah well here is my 12 foot cake I did for a show!! Everyone remembers it and I am trying to figure out what to do for the next show that everyone will remember!

Holy Crap! That is one tall cake. You seriously must have needed a ladder to stack that thing. Was the top of it swaying when you were done?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #33 of 83

You can do it... I'd sell the smaller cake with kitchen cakes option to her. That way you can do a 250-ish servings main cake and two 11x15 kitchen cakes (4" tall and filled).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I did this one to serve 268. The satelites were 6" (the highest on each side) and 8" (the other three on each side). You could always do one like these with all the satelites being 10".

6/9/12 = 100 svg.
(icon_cool.gif 10" = 304 svg.
total = 404 svg.

I love love love your cake!!!! Breathtaking!

Edited to say--the candles around the satellites are genius--pulls the whole thing together. Perfect cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:23pm
post #35 of 83

Whoa, Alligot, and LorieM, and Indy Indy--y'all outdid yourselves--way amazing--And Alli's with the scallops around the bottom--that's how I did my behemoth 600 serving masterpiece that I'd share a proud picture of, but my brother, ace camera-guy, forgot to remove the lens cap. Little terd.

But I mean to me if you're gonna provide a zillion servings show 'em all. If you got it flaunt it, yes?

LorieM, what about an upside down cake???

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #36 of 83

We did a cake (1 of three weddings that weekend) for 500. But the bride decided to split the difference between the wedding and grooms cakes. But we also have a large oven in our shop.
Pics are on the website www.EdibleEleganceTex.com click on the June picts. its the 1st wedding and grooms on that page. Sorry I don't know how else to put the link.
http://www.edibleelegancetex.com/html/June%202009.htm
I'd say ask friends to help you and go for it. Just think thats 400 people that will see YOUR WORK. Thats a lot of word of mouth. Chasity Russell

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #37 of 83

I did one to serve 400 last October. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1272309.html We transported it in our Expedition along with the 400 red velvet cupcakes in boxes for the groom's "cake". I used SPS for the entire cake, stacked the bottom 4 for transport, then added the top 2 once we got to the site....it was really not that big of a deal....which I can say now after spending countless sleepless nights worrying about the darn thing icon_smile.gif!!! You should definitely go as big as possible...Fabulous for your portfolio!!!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #38 of 83

I did a wedding for a friend over 20 years ago, it was my 3rd or 4th wedding to do. Arranged in a horseshoe pattern, She had a 5 tiered round monstrosity in the center then around that on each side were 2-4 tieired cakes, then on the outside of that 2-3 tiered cakes, then on the outside of those 2 tiered cakes then two single tiered satellite cakes, so a total of 25 tiers the largest tier on the 5 tier was 22" (22/18/14/10/6) then each cake around knocked out the bottom tier so the 2-4 tiered were 18/14/10/6 then the 2-3 tiered were 14/10/6, the 2-2 tiered cakes were 10/6 and the two satellites were 8". Each tier was a different flavor/filling combination. It took me forever to do! Oh and because this was in the mid 80's each one was seperated tiers, super tall! It served over 1350 people and yes she had that many people at her wedding!

Now don't shoot me when I tell you I was only paid $400 to do this cake. The bride was, and still is to this day a close friend infact the entire family is still close friends, and she bought all the ingredients too. Now mind you this was WAAAYYY back in 1984, I was preggers with my first at the time, and prices were much cheaper back then, so I did not feel slighted at all when she gave me $400 over and above the cost of ingredients. By today's standards of my pricing, I would receive from joe blow off the street $8487.50 plus a minimum delivery/set up charge of $150 (more depending on milage)...LOL!

I wish I still had photos of this, but my now ex accidentally threw out the box that had all my cake albums back in 97 when we moved into a new home. He thought the box was trash, and my friend can't find her wedding photos either. She keeps looking though, she thinks they got put in storage.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #39 of 83

Here are some of the big cakes I have made. They each will serve more than 250. Add extra satellites or kitchen cakes. It will be a huge amount of work for sure! Good luck w/your decision.

Of course this was not a wedding cake but set-up might give you some ideas: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1383530
This one served abut 350-355: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1370480

This one can be upped from the 356 servings shown by adding a 6" to each satellite for another 20-24 servings: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1357611

265 servings in this one. Add kitchen cake for the difference. One 12x18x4 kitchen cake will serve 108.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=53839

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I'll drive up to Maine and help ya! icon_biggrin.gif It'll be fun!

Deb~ by all means... that would be appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif I don't know what it is lately, but I'm suddenly getting slammed. I'm not complaining ~ it's just really weird and I hope I can pull it off.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #41 of 83

Kristi,

You can definitely pull it off! I'm so excited for you, it's great to hear that word is getting out about your cakes! You're going to be very successful!

Congratulations cake buddy icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

First of all, I wouldn't attempt this if you didn't have a freezer to accomodate these layers... you could bake them in your "spare" time no matter how long it took as long as you can store them in the freezer until needed.

I use the "old school" Wilton serving chart so...
The first number is servings to be cut at the reception and
the second number is servings including the top tier if not being cut.

If the bride likes the tall stacked setup you could do:

16x14x12x10x8x6=356/372 or
16sqx14x12x10x8x6=366/382

Here are some other combos I've done that would be easier to store and deliver:

4=12" for base (ea. 12" placed like dice pattern on 4-leaf clover shaped Plywood)
w/14x6=364/380 or
same as above w/14x10x6=412/428

18x16x12x10x6=382/398

If bride likes satellite cakes:

16x12x8
+12x8
+12x8=382/412

or

18x12x10x6
+12x8
+10=410/426

or

18x12x8
+12x8
+12x8=412/442

if they decide to go larger, I've got more up to 1158 servings!

If you have a favorite set up but it doesn't include quite enough servings, consider just making the base tier a square that serves a little more or go 3 layers tall for the base tier to get a lot more servings and it would give a tall cake a real nice sturdy appearance (you don't want any of the above tiers to be taller than the base tier or it won't look proportionate). Good luck!

Thank you so much for the charts ~ that is very generous. icon_smile.gif I do plan on buying a second refrig/freezer for wedding orders. I just don't have the space to let them sit boxed on the counter. I saw a fridge at HD a few months ago for under $300.00 that was perfect. I just have to check with our electrician to make sure my basement plugs are enough.

On top of this order ~ I just got another wedding order for August.
So far, I have 4 (possibly 5) weddings in Aug! Who am I kidding? icon_eek.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #43 of 83

I did a single cake that served 520, and another single cake that served 600. With a wedding that large, I think you have to go for the drama.

What I do for the bottom tier is jam four squares together to make a bigger square, then cut two rounds to jam up against the sides of the square. It makes sort of a petal and you can add a lot of servings in that bottom tier.

Deb_ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

What I do for the bottom tier is jam four squares together to make a bigger square, then cut two rounds to jam up against the sides of the square. It makes sort of a petal and you can add a lot of servings in that bottom tier.

That is a great idea!

kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I did a single cake that served 520, and another single cake that served 600. With a wedding that large, I think you have to go for the drama.

Leah~ I'm a visual person, do you (please) have a photo of the cake you make like that? Thank you for the info.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I'll drive up to Maine and help ya! icon_biggrin.gif It'll be fun!

Deb~ by all means... that would be appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif I don't know what it is lately, but I'm suddenly getting slammed. I'm not complaining ~ it's just really weird and I hope I can pull it off.

I'm in Burlington VT, and can give a friday night for dish duty just to watch two experts work!

FromScratch Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #47 of 83

It depends on what I have going on, but I could drive up and help you too girl... you can totally do this!!

kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #48 of 83

Awwww~ you are all so sweet! icon_smile.gif Although, I'd hardly call myself an "expert".

Right now what I'd really like is a "murphy kitchen", if that's even possible. A few fold down walls with shelving and acres of counter space and a hidden refrig. Wouldn't that be nice?

Deb_ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #49 of 83

Sounds like a party..........we can call ourselves "Red Sox Nation Bakers" icon_lol.gif

If Jeanne comes she'll be our expert Kristi..........auntmamie that was very sweet of you btw!

kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #50 of 83

Auntmamie~ thank you. icon_smile.gif I hope to make it to your gorgeous state someday soon. Rolling hills and mountains... what else could you ask for?

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #51 of 83

I'd only had my license a matter of weeks when I got a call for 450 servings, one month away. In the end they added another sheetcake making it 500 servings. We did a 4 tier mixed shape wedding cake that could be delivered already stacked and 5 sheetcakes. It was a TON of cake but even in my tiny kitchen it worked. What helped me was that the sheetcakes had jam filling so they didn't need refridgeration; then I could frost them and shelve them until delivery time. With organization it's possible--good luck!!

taxi4two Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxi4two Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #52 of 83

At my sons awads ceremony I had volunteered to bring the cake and they requested I feed 250. It's a good thing I over compensate because something told me there would be more...there were 102 kids to start. By the time we added up parents, siblings, grandparents, coaches and friends it was near the 400 mark. We actually had the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 sheet cakes left over and I sent them home with the coaches family. I work from my home and it was a tight fit but it can be done! icon_biggrin.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Auntmamie~ thank you. icon_smile.gif I hope to make it to your gorgeous state someday soon. Rolling hills and mountains... what else could you ask for?

Um..the beach!?!?!?!

Seriously, I can't wait to leave Vermont (I'm a native New Yorker). I'm trying to be a model employee at work, so I can try and get a job in SC. But, no cottage bakeries down there icon_sad.gif

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #54 of 83

I did a cake for 124. . .but had the cake I made been done in all cake, it would've served 412!!! The bottom two tiers and the "barrel" was also 2 12" dummies that were supposed to be real cake. I decided at 11:30 the night before the wedding that there was no way that I could A) transport it successfully fully decorated and B) nor would I be able to pick it up to hoist it in position without disaster as the two 12" individual cakes were so heavy on their own. They were just put in the kitchen when I delivered it.

So you could replace some of the tiers with dummies and make kitchen cakes, if she wants a huge cake, but storage is awkward. You can do all but the top in styro (so they'll have something to cut) and you'll have more time to work on it, depending on the design she chooses.

I attached a pic of the cake I did. . . can you believe all that for 124 guests???

kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578

I did a cake for 124. . .but had the cake I made been done in all cake, it would've served 412!!! The bottom two tiers and the "barrel" was also 2 12" dummies that were supposed to be real cake. I decided at 11:30 the night before the wedding that there was no way that I could A) transport it successfully fully decorated and B) nor would I be able to pick it up to hoist it in position without disaster as the two 12" individual cakes were so heavy on their own. They were just put in the kitchen when I delivered it.

So you could replace some of the tiers with dummies and make kitchen cakes, if she wants a huge cake, but storage is awkward. You can do all but the top in styro (so they'll have something to cut) and you'll have more time to work on it, depending on the design she chooses.

I attached a pic of the cake I did. . . can you believe all that for 124 guests???

I don't think the attachment worked. Could you post it again, please?

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #56 of 83

I think my attachment was too big!

If you search Metallic Majesty, you should be able to find it.

FromScratch Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #57 of 83

I lived in Vermont for a year and I'd agree... gimme the beach. It's a great place to visit though. Burlington is a cool city though.

And if I can make it work I'm totally there. When would this cake be for? August is a tricky month for me since that's our vacation month and we'll be gone for the first two weeks, but I'd love to help you out. icon_smile.gif All I ask is for a taste of yoru knock out vegan cakes. icon_wink.gif

kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #58 of 83

Jeanne~ that is so generous, I'd love to meet you. Thank you. I'm not sure I will do this order, but I'll keep you in mind. You can have all the cake you want ~ although from the look of your website, your cakes are fantastic. ** Your flavor section got the "Pina Colada" song stuck in my head for weeks, and my husband would sing it as a joke. I hate that song...it's such an ear-worm.

August is crazy for me too... I think we're going to have to push going to RI until Sept. Luckily though, all these cakes, except one are just local drop offs before noon.

I really (selfishly) don't want to spend my entire summer making cakes every weekend. I want to be with my family... my daughter is growing up so fast. She is now getting interested in my cakes...
She recently told me I was a good cake "arter" and I was great at "arting". (I love that!)

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #59 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Damn Debi....scare the sh*t out of her! LOL, JK...Gorgeous cake.......cake and more cake!

You took the words right out of my mouth! That'd scare the crap out of me!! That is one impressive cake, Debi.

I saw a pic a while back of three cakes sitting in a row. The heights of all the cakes varied, and I think each was three tiers stacked, and all the same decorations and colors. It was very chic looking.

So, one was like a 2" tall 10"/6" tall 8"/4" tall 6". The next was a 4" tall 10"/2" tall 8"/4" tall 6", etc., or something like that. Each cake was different. I wish I'd had the sense to save the picture.

You might suggest that.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #60 of 83

I asked this question a ways back in the post, but think it got lost with all of the amazing photos posted...

What are kitchen cakes, how do you serve/cut them, and how do you charge for them in comparison to the actual wedding cake?

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%