Good Grief~ 400 Servings??? Anyone Had One This Large?

Business By kellertur Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 3:26am by indydebi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by charman

I asked this question a ways back in the post, but think it got lost with all of the amazing photos posted...

What are kitchen cakes, how do you serve/cut them, and how do you charge for them in comparison to the actual wedding cake?

Thanks

I don't do them but a sheet cake is a single layer rectangle cake and a kitchen cake is a 2-layer "sheet" with the same filling, etc as the wedding cake. That way when the guests get a piece of kitchen cake, they don't know it's not from the wedding cake.

Some charge less because there is no decorating. I don't charge extra for design, therefore there is nothing to subtract if I don't decorate. That's why I have never done sheets or kitchens. when a bride sees she can have a grand elegant weddign cake for the same price as a dinky cake with secret cakes in the back room, she goes for the grand wedding cake every time.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #62 of 83

Well that was what I was kind of thinking it was, and on the price...despite the non-decoration part...the price would be virtually the same huh? Yeah, I've had a bride as for this, but didn't like the price (don't even remember what I quote before, but not much off from the actual wedding cake. I always suggest they just do a satelite cake of the rest of the cake to have in the back to serve from...instead of a sheet cake. I refuse to do sheet cakes for the extra cakes...that you can so tell, adn I think it looks tacky!

indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #63 of 83

Doing sheet cakes is extra work for me. Here's the example I always use.

Bride needs 150 servings.

To make a 3-tier, 150 serving cake, I will bake a 8/10/14 cake. Period.

To make a 3-tier, 100 servings cake and a 50-serving sheet cake, I have to bake a 6/10/12 AND a sheet cake. More boards/boxes (an extra of each for the sheet); more baking time = more electricity; more space in the van; more trips to-from the van to load and unload.

So I'm going to do more work for less money? Not in my shop, I'm not.

I don't want to do sheet cakes, so I price it so they don't want to ORDER sheet cakes.

Sheets are not less work for me .... they add to the work I have to do.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #64 of 83

I'm intrigued by the kitchen cakes (since it allows the serving to look like a slice of "real" wedding cake), but I to can't see charging any different for it vs. the wedding cake.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A round 6/8/10/12/14/16 serves 308. And it's a grand looking cake! Here's a dummy one I did for a bridal show: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195241

Square cakes: 6/8/10/12/14/16 serves 398.

I made my own wedding cake and it was a 4/6/8/10/12. I realize a 14" and 16" are giant but really that's only one more tier than I did. And stacking it was no problem. I'm 5'2" and it was just slightly taller than me. One more layer like this cake would be and I'd still be on the floor decorating it.

I don't think it would be hard to do at all. Now, if she wants intricate piping, that's another story. icon_wink.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Doing sheet cakes is extra work for me. Here's the example I always use.

Bride needs 150 servings.

To make a 3-tier, 150 serving cake, I will bake a 8/10/14 cake. Period.

To make a 3-tier, 100 servings cake and a 50-serving sheet cake, I have to bake a 6/10/12 AND a sheet cake. More boards/boxes (an extra of each for the sheet); more baking time = more electricity; more space in the van; more trips to-from the van to load and unload.

So I'm going to do more work for less money? Not in my shop, I'm not.

I don't want to do sheet cakes, so I price it so they don't want to ORDER sheet cakes.

Sheets are not less work for me .... they add to the work I have to do.

Cool~ Now this is something concrete I can show a bride asking for sheet cakes to save money. Personally, they are a lot of work for me because I have a small oven, and I find it near impossible to torte them evenly... I don't find they save me any time at all. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

I also like the satallite idea. My main concern is space while working and once each tier is iced, boxed and on to the next (where to keep the boxes). I do need another fridge.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #67 of 83

You can sooo do this - one of my first wedding cakes was for 350 (did the main cake on top of the fountain and 5 satellite cakes around it) Indy - I also don't do sheet/kitchen cakes for the weddings. I have been able to convince the brides it is about the same price......

and an FYI - that huge cake I did (I knew the folks getting married, so I knew quite a few people that attended) there were MANY comments on how nice it was to get a piece of the ACTUAL wedding cake and not a piece of cake from a cake hidden in the kitchen.....so folks DO take note of that!

kellertur Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #68 of 83

Just a quick break while making lunch, but:

Any of you who feel like posting your huge wedding cake photos, please post away! I'd really appreciate seeing your gorgeous creations.

I have the bride's design sketched out, I'll be seeing them here in about a week. I have a few other ideas I'd like to sketch out, just to give them ideas. I know she likes scroll work, traditional, but not "run of the mill" cakes.

Thank you all for the support/encouragment. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #69 of 83

Here is the one I did - one of my first wedding cakes!
You can't see much of the detail....it had stringwork (first time doing that too) on each tier - everything but a 6" tier was eaten! (the design with all the roses and the "precious moments" topper were the brides design.....)

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=55006

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Any of you who feel like posting your huge wedding cake photos, please post away! I'd really appreciate seeing your gorgeous creations.

I have the bride's design sketched out, I'll be seeing them here in about a week. I have a few other ideas I'd like to sketch out, just to give them ideas. I know she likes scroll work, traditional, but not "run of the mill" cakes.

This isnt mine but its a huge cake photo ( from possibly this site, Im not sure anymore), and I show it to large orders so they have an idea of a way to go besides up.
LL

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #71 of 83

Sara, yes it's a CC cake and I have it in my favorites file!! Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=270183 I'd LUV to make this cake!!!

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #72 of 83

Thanks indidebi, I liek to give credit where it's due thumbs_up.gif

kellertur Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

This isnt mine but its a huge cake photo ( from possibly this site, Im not sure anymore), and I show it to large orders so they have an idea of a way to go besides up.

WOW! How big was that icing spatula? icon_eek.gif

kellertur Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:25am
post #74 of 83

Here's an update~ I just spoke to the bride and they are expecting around 325 guests out of the 400.

I talked her out of sheets/kitchen cakes and she liked the idea of satellites. I'm getting excited now... the challenge is on!!

Traditional with a modern flair
white frosting with color incorporated
NO more than 4 tiers (very specific on that... )
NO pillars or separators
Elegant, but fun bot NOT over the top.

Does anyone have examples of traditional, yet fun? Could anyone please enlighten me? I'm not exactly a traditional type person... I have an idea of what this might be, but I'm scared she's going to want a million buttercream roses. My sketches may be a bit too unconventional.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:25am
post #75 of 83

If you ask me, bride don't think of traditional these days as having a gazillion BC roses and swags... but more as classy and clean... white on white or white with one accet color... simple scrolls ... things like that. That's what I have noticed anyway and we are pretty close geographically. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

If you ask me, bride don't think of traditional these days as having a gazillion BC roses and swags... but more as classy and clean... white on white or white with one accet color... simple scrolls ... things like that. That's what I have noticed anyway and we are pretty close geographically. icon_biggrin.gif

I would agree. The word "Traditional" means two different things to a 20 year old bride than it does to this 50 year old lady.

It's part of human nature to think that history starts the day you were born, and that "traditions" are only the things that one has seen in their short 20 year span.

So I'd ask her what HER definition of traditional is.

kellertur Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #77 of 83

Thanks, she sent me a few photos she likes this morning. She's a year younger than me, so that helped me figure out a few things.

Most of my brides are 10+ yrs younger... YIKES, 20ish yr olds are now kids to me? icon_confused.gif (where did the past 15 yrs go?)

indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #78 of 83

Oh, K2 .... I'm at the point where EVERYONE is a kid these days! icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:50am
post #79 of 83

Maybe no one's watching this anymore, but I have an update~

Well, they finally had their tasting apt. tonight. The servings are now between 325-375, which sounds less intimidating.

THEY BOOKED!! ~ I gave a quote, got a deposit, signed contract and nailed down a design.

The best part~ the groom to be had never had vegan cake before. He said it was the best cake he'd ever had and that they would not be seeing any other bakers. icon_smile.gif They decided to do the entire cake in Orange Dreamsicle... they wanted something more traditional until they tried the orange.

Thanks for all the advice on this and another post... I took control, had confidence and it went a lot smoother. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #80 of 83

Congratulations!! That's awesome! thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #81 of 83

Glad it went well. There was no question that they would love your work.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #82 of 83

Congrats on the order. Be sure to post the pics.

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:26am
post #83 of 83

congrats on getting the order! A nice ending to the story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%