Do Any Of You Use A Convection Oven?

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 4:31am by SpringFlour

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 14

Wow, have I ruined a LOT of cookies trying to get the time and temp right. This is hard!

Do any of you use a convection oven? What temperature do you like to bake your cookies at? My closest batch to turning out was baked at 285 degrees for about 15 minutes but then the bottom got all messed up when I took them off the tray because they were undercooked.

Can you tell me about some of your experiences with a convection oven? I'm getting really frustrated.

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 14

I use my convection oven all the time to bake.I usually set it on 325 as 350 is too hot..I will bake my chocolate cakes at 350 but white ones need to be 325 or they burn.cookies about 12-14 minutes ...cakes usually about 5-10 minutes longer than regular bake setting!!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 14

I use a convection at bake at 325, three large sheets at a time, putting them in about 5 - 7 min. apart so I don't have a flood of cookies being done all at the same time. I check them at 9 min., turn the sheets and eyeball them until they are done. I use Airbake sheets and am happy with those.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 14

Tracy, why do you turn them? I thought the convection part was supposed to cook them all evenly? Just curious. Thanks!

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #5 of 14

I use mine all the time. I set the temp at the normal 350 degree. My oven adjusted the setting automatically. I have a ge profile double oven and I love it.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 14

I set mine at 350 and they burned in like 8 minutes. The booklet says for cookies to set it between 285-300 and bake for extra time. Also, when I had the temp higher they browned/burned very unevenly. The front was dark and the back was not cooked. More experimenting planned for today!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:47am
post #7 of 14

I bake mine in a commercial convection and they do bake hotter than my oven at home. My recipe calls for 400 degrees, but I back it off to about 365. I turn the trays at about 6 min for large cookies and bake about 4 min longer. If the fan is off, they don't brown on the back side as fast, but I still turn them. I thought the circulation of air was supposed to bake more evenly, too, but it doesn't seem to with cookies. When I bake at home in my conventional, they take a little longer, but brown more evenly without turning.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 14

This is good to know, I thought there was something wrong with my oven that it didn't bake evenly. My fan is always on. There are no fan settings, just on and off for the whole oven. It's brand new so it should be ok.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 14

My experience was to set mine on 325 and leave it alone. I also have to cut the baking time down. I had to experiement with each thing I baked, so I would know how much to change the time. I had to turn the cakes and cupcakes or they would get a "blown to one side" look. When I got a new convection oven, I could set the fan on low, and that stopped the blown look to the cakes. It's a real change from a regular oven for sure!

Cakeladybu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeladybu Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 14

I used mine all the time and only use air bake cookie sheets. You do need to watch them more closely and take then out when they start to get golden. Good Luck.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 14

Hi Heidi - Sorry I haven't checked in. Been busy with the flavorings discount arrangement.

I turn my sheets as I use very large sheets and they extend almost to the sides of my oven. Not a lot of air flow. I also bake large cookies, so that is part of it. They will brown faster on the edges of the sheets, so I will flip them around if needed. I need to try using smaller sheets, but admittedly, just like to 'get it done' and I can fit more on the larger sheets, so I just do what I need to do. icon_smile.gif So the issue is that I am not allowing for enough air flow and my cookies are really large.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 14

I use mine all the time. I set it for 350 for NFSC, using Airbake sheets. My convection oven automatically recalculates to 325 degrees. I bake them for 8-10 minutes.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:04am
post #13 of 14

simplysweetbygigi,
I just got the same oven as you. I didn't even know it had a convection oven option when I picked it out. I just wanted a new double oven to replace my old double oven.
Do you ever bake using it as a conventional oven? Does it take much longer for cookies?
Thanks.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:31am
post #14 of 14

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%