Baking In A Ka Bowl (Or Any Bowl)

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm by bakingatthebeach

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 10

I know this was a topic at one time, but I can't find it.

I want to make a coffee mug cake and was wondering if anyone has successfully baked in their KA bowl or a glass/Pyrex bowl? If so, any tips on getting it to bake evenly and not be raw in the middle?

Thanks, I appreciate the help icon_smile.gif

9 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know the answer, but I'm interested! I'm going to be baking a cake in a large measuring cup (barbie dress) and I'm worried about the same issues.

slush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slush Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 10

I made the dress of my cinderella cake in a pyrex bowl. It was absolutely fine just took a bit longer to bake than in a tin.
I greased the bowl liberally with oil and once baked I loosened the sides by sliding spatula right down all the way round(does that make sense?!)
I always put some filling in my cakes so that I can cut them through and make sure they have baked properly!!!
HTH

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 10

My DH bought a glass measuring bowl set from Pampered Chef (because he knows I buy NOTHING from Pampered Chef). I just used the larger one to bake the "belly" on the beer belly cake in my pictures. I turned out perfectly. I think as long as it says it's ovensafe, you should be good (don't forget to grease it...I almost did)

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 10

The doll cake in my pics is done in a KA bowl. I used 1 mix and baked at 325, it probably took a little over an hour. I placed it on a 6 inch round to give it height.

Kimmers971 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 10

Thank You all so much thumbs_up.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #7 of 10

Thanks, everyone! I'll post a pic after I make the cake this weekend. My daughter has NO IDEA. She will love it, being the princess she is.

Kimmers971 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 10

One other question - based on the 5 qt KA bowl about how many servings would it be? Thanks again!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 10

No one has mentioned a heating core...does that mean it isn't needed with a pyrex or KA bowl??

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 10

i didnt use a heating core, but now that you mention it, it wouldnt be a bad idea to stick a flower nail in it cause it does take a little longer to bake and that might help speed it up. As far as servings, I have no idea, I used one cake mix and then added it to the top of a 6 in round for height. Someone on here told me they just add extra rounds depending on how many servings they want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%