Where Do You Get Your Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By kamikaze_fish Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 2:12am by bbmom

kamikaze_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamikaze_fish Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 23

We have been buying it in the small 2lb bags at the grocery store but all of a sudden it hit me today, maybe it is cheaper to buy it another way. Do you buy yours in large quantity and measure it out or do you just by the 2lb bags as needed? Do you keep several bags on hand just in case?

22 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 23

I get the big bags from Sam's.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 23

I get mine at Costco, around $4.50 for 8 lbs.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 23

I sometimes get the 25lb box from GFS (6x fine) for $15-$16 or Sam's (10x fine) 7lb bag for $3-$4.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 23

I don't know if you have Aldi's stores where you live or not Kimmers, but I get mine there. No, I am well aware that it can't beat the other prices the girls here have stated, but my husband and I really are not in a position at this time to be really able to take advantage of Sam's or Costco. Aldis beats other stores prices on the 2lb. if you have to get it that way. I haven't checked Cargo Largo out here for that item, but if you have one they might have some pretty decent prices. I know they have some food items. We also have Dollar Generals here. To me they save me more money then walmart as I have to drive quite a bit further for a walmart.

kamikaze_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamikaze_fish Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 23

We have aldis here and the prices weren't much cheaper than C&H at WalMart. We've been contemplating a Sam's or Costco membership. Looks like that's probably our best choice.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 23

Jules you are spot on with Aldi ( love love love that store!!) , that is where I used to get my PS because I shop there every week for groceries but I now just buy in bulk because once a month we go to another town that is farther but has all the warehouse stores.

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 23

I've been buying mine in the 1lb box just for the ease of use because most recipes call for 1lb proportions AND it usually does not need to be sifted. Do you all sift your powdered sugar? I HATE TO SIFT.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 23

I also use the ps from Sam's. I'm in there weekly, so it's no big deal to pick up several bags at a time, and they're 7 lbs each. And sweetsadiecakes, nope I don't sift...unless it's for MMF. Then I sift. Not my fave either!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 23

I get the 50lb ones from Costco, it is cheaper when you calculate it.

A lot of people sift even if it is the 10x

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 23

I get mine at Smart $ Final, 25lb for $14. As I see here, I never paid attention how much xfine it was. It is C&H brand.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 23

I get it at Sam's. A 7lb bag costs $4.36 where my parents live and $4.39 where I live. When you do the math, it costs so much more to buy the little 2 lb bags. Although they are nice because you don't have to measure. I prefer the savings. =o)

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I get the 50lb ones from Costco, it is cheaper when you calculate it.

A lot of people sift even if it is the 10x

I get mine there too but it doesn't say it's the 10x. So, I do sift mine. Hmmm.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #14 of 23

I also purchase mine from Sam's or Costco.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #15 of 23

I priced C&H at Sams and at Wal-Mart where I live. It's actually a little cheaper at our Walmart, so it may depend on what part of the country you're in.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #16 of 23

WHAT!? Costco has big bags of icing sugar?!?! hmm i wonder if that only in the states, i swear the last time i went there they only had the little bags....will have to investigate!!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #17 of 23

nope scratch that i just called our costco and they only have little bags icon_sad.gif how sad.... icon_sad.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #18 of 23

I get mine in the bulk bins at winco, I think it's like .46 cents a pound. But I do have to sift it for fondant.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #19 of 23

Interesting, if you check the price at Wal-Mart you'll find the 1 pound box of C&H ps is cheaper per pound than the larger bag.

I always sift except when making MMF. I've found the MMF doesn't need to be sifted but ps for other icings work out much better when sifted. I sift through a fine strainer, not an actual sifter....sifters take forever!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #20 of 23

I definitely always sift powdered sugar...there are variations batch to batch, sometimes you can end up with a tsp of granules after sifting a kilo or so!

(If I'm piping with a 00 or 000 tip, I even strain my RI through a clean nylon stocking icon_smile.gif )

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #21 of 23

I just did the math - my choices are staying at WM and paying $1.67 for 2 pound bags (great since my recipes all call for 2 pounds each) or going to Costco, paying $4.50 for 7 pounds, and a $60 yearly membership fee. I would have to use 225 or more pounds a year in order to make the cost savings. I'll stay at WM for now - that would be 120 batches of icing in one year - no way will I get anywhere close to that this year.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #22 of 23

It is cheaper for me to buy the 2# bags at walmart. I'm glad it's cheaper that way though, because it would be worth it to pay more just so I didn't have to measure out that stuff. My bc recipe takes 2# of ps per batch. I'm all about the convenience of pre-measured ps.

I pay $1.34 for a two pound bag at my local Walmart.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #23 of 23

Right now Hannaford has 2lb bags for $1.24 thats 10cents cheaper than walmart. The price is supposed to be good through summer. I'm stocking up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%