1979 Wedding Cake

Decorating By ShayShay Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm by cakequeen50

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to replicate a wedding cake from 1979 as a 30th anniversary cake. The cake is a surprise so I can't ask for the details on it. The only picture available is of very poor quality. Any ideas on the techniques used or your take on the description of the cake. Thanks for your help!
LL

5 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 6

the best I can see is the classic giant shell bottom borders and a smaller top shell like a #18, we used that alot in the 80's. Then I see a double leaf tip swag connected by a long cluster of assorted color drop flowers for the bottom tier. I can't see the top tier except for the repeat of the drop flowers.
Good luck!

ShayShay Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 6

thanks cakequeen. I don't know how a double leaf tip swag is done. What leaf tip would be used?

cakequeen50 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 6

you need to practice this one for the correct pressure. take an iced cake board and lean it up against something so it will stand up to be like the side of a cake.
I use an bendable plastic scraper, but however you would make a light mark on your cake, First make 2 light swag marks, one higher, one lower, then take a #65 or #67, probably the smaller one, and squeeze hard and continuously as you follow the line of the swag. this swift constant pressure as you pull, will make a ruffle. Then make the second "ruffle" below it. Practice alot first. also, the buttercream can't be too soft as it will mush and droop.
If the constant squeeze ruffle technique doesn't work for you, just wiggle you hand sideways back and forth as you make the swag motion. This will also make a ruffle, kind of like hand tremors icon_biggrin.gif

good luck!

ShayShay Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much Cakequeen! I have searched for the technique but couldn't find anything! You are awesome!

cakequeen50 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6

sometimes you can find old cake decorating books in the library with those techniques.

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%