Kosher Cakers

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm by Susans53

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, you know you want this thread icon_smile.gif

For one reason or another I have been made aware of quite a few kosher bakers/cake decorators on this board in the last few weeks. I thought I would open the floor, see if people are willing to introduce themselves, start up a discussion regarding unique challenges of pareve cake decorating etc icon_smile.gif...

Okay my name is Ahuva, Im from Melbourne, Australia and Im a hobby baker - still learning but keen icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 14

*waves*

Hate doing pareve. Margarine is so disgusting. I think they should all order fish for dinner so I can make a good cake with real butter. Gah.

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 14

HI I'm Ruthi - I'm in Brooklyn and do cookies and cakes under OK....wish dairy were an option but that's life! LOL. I would love to have more hints and tips on baking pareve and getting close to the real thing and having great taste. Some recipes seem simple enough substitution-wise, but others...? Anyone have tried and true recipes that they love that are kosher and pareve?

Thanks for starting this thread - it would be nice to hook up with others facing the same baking challenges.

Also, I agree with Mentsch - I wish fish were the done deal....can you just imagine what yummy cakes and fillings and icings.........oh well. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 14

ruthi -

Brooklyn! A friend of mine used to bring in products from Mendy's for her shop. How do you compete with them? Do you know how to make their chocolate bells? They are so awesome! If you know, would you please teach me?

I met the folks at OK at the Fancy Food Show a couple of years ago. They are so nice.

I'm not Jewish, but members of my beloved family are. I would like to learn more about Kosher baking. I have recipes for honey cake, kugel, rugelach, babka, and that's about it. I know there's more recipes out there.

My first question - what brand of margarine do you use for baking pareve, and can you buy it in the supermarket, or must you order it separately?

How about a TNT challah recipe? I would love to present a home-baked challah to my aunt in New York City.

Please teach me, folks.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ruthi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 14

I'm not sure which bakery is Mendy's - where are they located? There are a lot of stores here and I am far from familiar with all of them. As far as competition goes - I am very small scale because I have a day job...but to make cakes and cookies for anyone, I need to have the kosher supervision or else I'm "stuck" just making cakes for family...and how often does that happen! Still, I'm very small and not in competition with major stores, etc.

A TNT challah recipe? There are so many good ones....I make the same recipe every week cause my kids love it and I have a riot on my hands whenever I try something new!
2 TBL dry yeast
1 TBL sugar
5 cups warm water
Mix and let bubble. Add:
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 TBL salt
Stir and add 5 pounds bread flour,
Mix, knead, cover and let rise twice. Shape and let rise 3rd time. Bake at 350 till golden brown..I like my challah crusty so I bake till brown, but if you like it softer, then bake less time. Exact time I'm not sure - 20 minutes to half hour? Depends on size of your loaves - this makes a lot of challah - i usually get 8 medium size loaves out of it. Can always freeze. I have ten kids so it is just right for me. Good luck!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 14

I love the taste of Challah.
Hot and fresh out of the oven. It makes the house smell wonderful.

Ruthi,
Thank you for sharing your recipe.

-Debbie B.

playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 14

Yes, thank you so much! That'll be my project this weekend.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ahuvas Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #8 of 14

This is the recipe I use for challah - I use the dough cycle in my bread machine and then take it out, plait it and let it rise again for 30 minutes in a warm place before baking.

http://www.recipezaar.com/The-Best-Bread-Machine-Challah-142387

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #9 of 14

I found a recipe once for pumpkin challah. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds yummy!

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:02am
post #10 of 14

Hi All,

I make this challah every week. Just dump it all in a bowl and mix in the Kenwood, it's too small to separate challa, but it makes 3 big or 4 medium challas.

1 cube fresh yeast (50g?)
2 cups warm water (I sub. 1 cup seltzer/soda water if I do wholewheat)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
6 cups flour (slightly less if you use WW)
1 tsp salt

Mix it all together and knead with a dough hook (or by hand) - the dough should be slightly sticky. Leave in a warm place until doubled. Bake on medium heat, 180oC until the bottom is brown (I do 25min but it depends on your oven)

ahuvas Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:34am
post #11 of 14

Has anyone tried using/maintaining a bread starter? I recently had bread at someones house and they had brought the starter from Israel to Australia (while on holiday!!!) just so they would not break their minhag of making challah. It was some of the best bread I have ever tasted but it seems like such a laborious process.

playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:52am
post #12 of 14

Starters are fun, but yes, a lot of work. they have to be fed weekly or they will die off.

What people do not realize is that the starter will evolve with the different flour for the local region. Their starter may have come from Israel, but eventually, because of the difference in the grain (nutrients in the ground, growing season) and the air-borne yeast there, the starter will adapt itself to where it currently is.

The nicest thing about starter is that it can be frozen. If they want to maintain it's origin, they should take a tablespoon of it out to make more starter, then freeze the rest. After about a year, they can take out another teaspoon to tablespoon, add it to it's current starter, then put the rest back in the freezer.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ruthi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 14

I realized after re-reading the posts that I never answered your question about which margarines are out there....being in Brooklyn, I am able to buy Jewish brands of margarine, of which there are several that are pareve....but, when necessary or if I'm in a supermarket rather than my local kosher grocer, I will buy Fleishman's - they make a margarine that is completely non-dairy. I don't know if there are any other brands out there that have non-dairy, kosher margarine....

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 14

I too am in need of some Kosher Cake recipes ( for non fish meals as well). Can any one share. It would be greatly appreciated. I did use once for cupcakes a recipe from "Vegan Cupcakes take over the world". My kosher friends actually liked it!
Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%