Jello To Flavor Frosting?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm by indydebi

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 11

I want to make strawberry frosting - but for the frosting on the cake - not filling. So I don't want to have actual strawberries in it b/c that would look funky on the cake (it's going to be a pig). Could I use strawberry jello to flavor it? I don't have time to order Lorann oils.... I thought that I could get some locally and it doesn't seem I can. So I'm looking for other ideas.

10 replies
HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 11

Ive actually been so desperate before that I used my juicer and juiced strawberries, also have used flavored strawberry juices as well.

I have never used Jello but would assume it would change the consistency of the frosting seeing how it has gelatin in it....I would like to know if this works too.

*Bump*

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 11

I wouldn't suggest using jello. Is there such thing as strawberry pudding mix? I don't know that I've ever seen any, but if you could find some, that would work. Just dissolve the pudding mix in your liquid before adding it to the rest of the buttercream ingredients. Also, you might try that strawberry ice cream topping as your liquid in the buttercream and see if that works. Or maybe that strawberry dipping sauce you can find in tubs at WalMart. You know what I mean? It' s like a thick syrup. You could also take 8 oz strawberry preserves and 1/4 c water. Boil, strain, and cool to room temp. Then use this as your liquid in the buttercream.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 11

bump - i just used jello to make blue raspberry cake and it is great - wonder how it affects icing

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 11

hmm I'm remembering that I think Nestle makes a strawberry syrup - like their chocolate syrup - I wonder if I could find some of that... I have used chocolate syrup to making chocolate frosting before......

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 11

Kool Aid.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 11

I will keep koolaid in mind! I didnt even think of that when I made this strawberry cake for Father's day...good idea....the syrup is a ood idea too.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 11

I actually tried the kool aid in my frosting and it stayed grainy.

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

I actually tried the kool aid in my frosting and it stayed grainy.

Did you try dissolving it in water or milk first?

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 11

I only hadd 6 tbls of water to my frosting so it would not be enough for the package, and I felt if I only used a half of pack, I would not get the flavor I opted for.

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 11

makes sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%