Pies

Lounge By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm by Lita829

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, well for some reason I cannot find my first post so I will retype it.
I live in a small town where one of the lodges has approached me to become thier new "pie lady". They use to buy pies for fund raising auctions a couple of times a year from a woman who has passed away.
They would want 8-10 pies each time they order.
I have priced out the boxes and tins and I am working on the cost of materials. I dont think pricing them as I would a cake is correct (by the serving). Also, I cant decide if I should price them all the same or a different price for fruit vs cream. I would appreciate any input you would like to give me. TIA

12 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 13

I would price them according to your cost for supplies, ingredients, etc. Generally you could double your cost and add 25% - that's kind of a standard pricing guide for various types of home-based products.

Since your ingredients for fruit pies will differ from cream pies, your total cost for each will be different, so price each accordingly. I wouldn't lump them all together at the same cost because you could be shortchanging yourself.

If your cost for a fruit pie is $4.75, then the lodge's cost for the pie would be $11.85. If your cost for a cream pie is $3.50 then the lodge's cost of the pie would be $8.75. This gives you a profit on the pie and still keeps the lodge's cost at a price point where they could make money after they price it for their cost to the customer.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much for giving me your input. I appreciate it very much.

newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #4 of 13

You're very welcome. Do you have a signature pie or a special pie that will be the "highlight"???

I love making pies - grew up with a great grandma and grandma who were fabulous pie bakers.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #5 of 13

Sorry I don't have any useful pie pricing info for you..and I never baked one icon_redface.gif But I do luv to eat them! H
How 'bout a pie thread!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 13

I do have one that created and want to eventually enter into a contest. It is called my Blueberry pucker up pie. Lemon on the bottom then blueberry with a strusel topping. It is soooo good. I also make one that is peanut butter on the bottom and chocolate cream on top in a graham cracker crust. Hubby's favorite is the peaches and cream. But, I think they will prbably just want your basic apple, cherry, coconut cream etc... I would love to start a section on cc conserning pies and even more on candy making as I have a line of chocolates that I make and sell.

newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I do have one that created and want to eventually enter into a contest. It is called my Blueberry pucker up pie. Lemon on the bottom then blueberry with a strusel topping. It is soooo good. I also make one that is peanut butter on the bottom and chocolate cream on top in a graham cracker crust. Hubby's favorite is the peaches and cream. But, I think they will prbably just want your basic apple, cherry, coconut cream etc... I would love to start a section on cc conserning pies and even more on candy making as I have a line of chocolates that I make and sell.

These sound great! Our family is BIG on peanut butter pie. My great grandma used to make it and I've been able to make one that's as good as hers except I use whipped cream topping instead of meringue. That was hubby's "birthday pie" this year. He didn't want cake; he wanted peanut butter pie with an Oreo crust. I prefer just a plain crust because I don't like the Oreo fighting for attention with the peanut butter. Guess I'm a purist, but I would definitely try it with some chocolate cream as an additional layer - YUMMMMMY! Anything with peanut butter gets my vote!

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:21am
post #8 of 13
Quote:

Lemon and blueberry sounds sooooooo very yummy!
Can't wait till you start the thread! I'll be waiting w/ milk LOL
Please let me know when you do icon_biggrin.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 13

I am really not sure how to do it. I dont know if they will allow it.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

I am really not sure how to do it. I dont know if they will allow it.

I dont't see why not, perhaps you could post it in the general section thumbs_up.gif

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #11 of 13

On the subject of pies....how do I get my crust to be flaky? Bake it first before putting in the filling?? Cook on a higher temperature at first for 15 minutes then downgrade temp?

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 13

Use ice water and dont handle it much. What make it flakey is the small bits of butter melting when it bakes.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 13

I agree with BeeBoos for what make a crust flaky. I love making pies, even though at this time in my life I don't get to make them that often.

Congrats on becoming the town's new "Pie Lady" thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%