Another Pet Peeve

Lounge By Sugarflowers Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm by poohsmomma

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:44am
post #91 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCake_Caitlin

My Pet Peeve is when People here and other places use codes: CC, DH, BC, RI

My goodness, for a beginner, do you have ANY idea how hard it is to understand instrucations or what anybody is trying to explain. I picked up on BC and RI.. I THINK CC is Cake Central. DH? HD - Health Dpt.

Urrrrggghhh......

I know, I used to feel the confusion at all abbreviations. There's a thread outlining what all of them stand for. I'd paste it here for you but I don't have the ability on my Itouch. Just go under 'Forums' and click on 'search'. You should be able to find it very easily by simply typing "abbreviations". HTH! icon_smile.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #92 of 109

Okay, so I know this will sound a little like I am a PITA, icon_evil.gif BUT.... why the heck don't people ANSWER THE QUESTION THAT IS ASKED by the OP of a thread????????? icon_surprised.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

REALLY!!! OP asks can I, should I do A, B, or C. At least half the responses are "You should do X, Y, or Z. READ the questions people!

Stepping down from the soapbox now. Thank you.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #93 of 109

I completely agree with everything mentioned above. I know everything I type is not perfect, but I do try.

Did I place the comma in the right place?

When trying to decide about using 's I always say it out using 'is' or 'has'.

When do you use quotations? Please feel free to correct me. I want to know.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:44am
post #94 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

Okay, so I know this will sound a little like I am a PITA, icon_evil.gif BUT.... why the heck don't people ANSWER THE QUESTION THAT IS ASKED by the OP of a thread????????? icon_surprised.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

REALLY!!! OP asks can I, should I do A, B, or C. At least half the responses are "You should do X, Y, or Z. READ the questions people!

Stepping down from the soapbox now. Thank you.

He he! I thought you meant the OP of this thread. I even went back to the start to check, and no, I'm sure we answered this one!

veronica720 - Your comma is perfect! Your quotations look pretty good to me as well. I think the rules are slightly different about double and single quotes here, but I use quotes for direct speech, to say something in an ironic way, to talk about words or letters like you used them above and to quote someone else's writing. Sometimes they're used for titles of books, movies etc. I'm sure I've forgotten some uses.

Now that I'm back in this thread: it's almost Fathers' Day here (is it the same in the US?) and I think it should read Fathers' Day, as the day belongs to all the fathers, not just the one lucky guy implied by Father's Day, but the makers of cards, calenders, and signs in every shop seem to disagree. Anyone else?

Gingoodies Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #95 of 109

mcaulir, in the USA Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in June. I can see it being spelled either way. Your reasoning does make sense. I guess because gifts, cards etc. are given to an individual they use the singular.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:38pm
post #96 of 109

i don't understand why anyone would think if they type long run on sentences....with improper or completely missing punctuation, bad grammar and no paragraphs, etc....that anyone is going to answers their questions when it's impossible to read the wall of text which might as well read as....blah blah blah.... i for one will not be responding to those blah blah blah threads if they can't be bothered to write in a way that i can easily understand what they're trying to say then i can't be bothered to take the time to respond oh...and what's with the email me mail because i don't have time to check into cc and see if i have responses but then their cc email link isn't activated....oh, and if you mention that you have a hard time reading this ....it's like "really, are you kidding" believe me my old eyes can't take a huge wall of uninterrupted text.....and if anyone is actually reading this i'll be amazed....because i know i wouldn't...you know what i mean....and why would anyone type in this fashion on a regular basis...guess it must be because it's all about me...you know what's easiest for me.... you know, like it's so hard to hit the space bar...don't know why the keyboard has so many unnecessary keys...but don't you feel sorry for me because i have vision issues.....oh and i had oral surgery yesterday so today i look like i was in a knock down drag out fight and lost...think everyone should start typing their posts and answering threads like this i mean turn about is fair play yes anyway just wanted to see what typing in a stream of consciousness style was like without having to worrry about making paragraphs to present my thoughts in any logical kind of sequence...or structure..think I'm going to be ill...and i don't think that the occasional grammatical or punctuation error is a big deal but the "endless wall of text"....well you have found my goat with that....does anyone else feel this way....could anyone else even have the oppportunity to feel this way since this is an endless of wall of text....so please feel free to cheer me up because I'm blue as in black and blue...oh and if it were something important/important i could use good grammar, etc. but since it's only us it's not important because you know how i am here to have a good time....so please answer my question ASAP because i waited until the last minute to ask...and where are my pain meds.....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:49pm
post #97 of 109

icon_lol.gif Jan, you are a classic!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #98 of 109

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Gingoodies Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #99 of 109

Priceless Jan. Just Priceless!

mcaulir Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #100 of 109

Excellent!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #101 of 109

I don't really have any pet peeves associated with CC and its users. Not too much bothers me except for petty things that don't warrant a mention here. My biggest pet peeves, in general, are people minding other's people's business and meddling in other people's lives. That REALLY ruffles my feathers icon_mad.gif

BTW...I agree with Indydebi's post on illiteracy. Kudos for you for taking a stand like that thumbs_up.gif . I think that education is not only fundamental but necessary for survival.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #102 of 109

I've come into this discussion late, but I've enjoyed reading every entry. I am a retired teacher who was also a grammar nazi. I would like to add a pet peeve.

I am annoyed when writers use a "which" or a "what" when they should be using a "who" instead.

examples:
I asked Sarah, which is my best friend.
I went to see my doctor, which is in the new medical building.

or even on Jeopardy when a contestant responds, "What is Thomas Jefferson?"

People are not "things".

mcaulir Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #103 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I've come into this discussion late, but I've enjoyed reading every entry. I am a retired teacher who was also a grammar nazi. I would like to add a pet peeve.

I am annoyed when writers use a "which" or a "what" when they should be using a "who" instead.

examples:
I asked Sarah, which is my best friend.
I went to see my doctor, which is in the new medical building.

or even on Jeopardy when a contestant responds, "What is Thomas Jefferson?"

People are not "things".

Yes! Another along the same vein - "My friend that I know, she has a new pet."

Argh! 'That' instead of 'who', and a redundant pronoun. It hurts my ears.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #104 of 109

Too many pronouns in a sentence! I lose track of the players!

"Sally, Carol and Anna were arguing. She told her that she hit her and she was mad."

icon_eek.gif Who told who? Who hit who? and who was mad?

And the term(s) brother-in-law / sister-in-law are too vague. My brother in law could be (1) my sister's husband (2) my husband's brother (3) my husband's sister's husband. I like to know which part of the family tree is being talked about.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:30am
post #105 of 109

I *really* hate it when people say ''learnt''. icon_evil.gif

Also, to whomever earlier was speaking about Navy ''wifes''... the plural is ''wives''.

''Instructions'' has no ''a''.

The your/you're thing drives me CRAZY. I corrected my older cousin once a few years ago and explained the difference and her reply was simply ''Whatever, it doesn't matter.'' The problem with that was, she was the head secretary for a leading tractor manufacturing company.

*sigh*

My husband's brother's wife (just for you, Debi) is a high school English teacher. She told me about a report one of her students that was four pages debating the pros and cons of ''Violins in video games''... Violence.

mcaulir Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #106 of 109
Quote:
Quote:

My husband's brother's wife (just for you, Debi) is a high school English teacher. She told me about a report one of her students that was four pages debating the pros and cons of ''Violins in video games''... Violence.

That's hilarious! I once had a 10-year-old student write a whole story about a vibrator she had found in a pail of milk on a farm. To this day I have no idea what she was really talking about, but it made the story pretty amusing.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #107 of 109

The texting abbreviations drive me crazy--the "UR gr8" stuff! Is it going to kill you to spell the word out completely and are you really saving that much time? If you don't have that kind of time to spare, then maybe you shouldn't be texting in the first place. icon_confused.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:09am
post #108 of 109

re JanH's solid wall of text post:

we need a laughing so hard I'm crying smiley!

-------

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #109 of 109

My mother has lymphoma, and during one of her treatments I noticed a clock that someone had presented to the clinic. The inscription read "Thanks, Your the Best!"

It hangs proudly on the clinic wall.

I'm hoping the nurses know the difference, but that they must display the gift for fear of hurting someone's feelings. After all, these people are pumping chemicals into my mother!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%