How Do You Make Your Icing Look Like Water?

Decorating By mommyandmecakes Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm by laurajo1218

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 17

I have two cakes in the next week...

One of a fish swimming in the ocean and another of Shamu in the ocean. I plan to use rice crispy treats to make their heads and tails but want to make the rest of the cake look like water. Any suggestions?

16 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 17

I would tint your buttercream an aqua color and then add 'waves' with an offset spatula. If you want it glossy like water, piping gel works great for that. hth.

mommyandmecakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 17

do I brush it all with piping gel? Is it going to impact the taste?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 17

I have a shark cake you can look at if you like....I iced in white and then airbrushed some blue under "white waves". I have a Little Mermaid cake where I did similar but iced in white first and then went back and pushed blue icing under the "waves" with the small spatula.

For clear water you can use piping gel, it really has no flavor to speak of. If you are doing a large area, I'd recommend using white and blue icing.

mommyandmecakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:15am
post #5 of 17

What if I frosted in blue icing in a wavy fashion, then use a spoon with white icing on the back to rough up the water, then use blue dust to add some depth in a couple spots and finally cover in some piping gel? Thoughts!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishclark

What if I frosted in blue icing in a wavy fashion, then use a spoon with white icing on the back to rough up the water, then use blue dust to add some depth in a couple spots and finally cover in some piping gel? Thoughts!

I think that would be fine. However, i'm not sure that the blue dust will work or not. I'm thinking i would tint the piping gel light blue, probably cheaper and nicer effect. Piping gel will not affect the flavor.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #7 of 17

I agree with the white and blue... having dark blue accents will also give it a nice touch.

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 17

I made an industrial toilet for a retiring plumber and needed to have the effect of water in it that was swirling and getting ready to flow over. You can see it on http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1218472. I used piping gel that I faintly colored with a tiny touch of royal blue Americolor gel and then filled in the top of the toilet bowl with the gel and made small waves coming up from the water. I then used a toothpick that I dipped some dark gray coloring gel on and dabbled small areas of area of the "water" with the gel. I did a similar motion with a deep blue on a tooth pick. Then as a final touch I dipped my taped spatula in white buttercream and made swirling waves coming up out of the water. The swirling water was very effective for the end look. A similar touch would probably be very effective with your added fish coming out of the water or swimming in the water.

CraftyCakeMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCakeMaker Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 17

So, I have made a cheesecake and planned to dye some pastry pride whipped topping or possibly just whipped cream to spread on top to look like water. I know piping gel will give the look that I want with regular frosting, but has anyone used piping gel in a whipped cream type topping? If so, did it work out? I am hoping I can get the same look as with regular frosting... let me know.

Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

karrotcurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karrotcurl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CShields

I made an industrial toilet for a retiring plumber and needed to have the effect of water in it that was swirling and getting ready to flow over. You can see it on http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1218472. I used piping gel that I faintly colored with a tiny touch of royal blue Americolor gel and then filled in the top of the toilet bowl with the gel and made small waves coming up from the water. I then used a toothpick that I dipped some dark gray coloring gel on and dabbled small areas of area of the "water" with the gel. I did a similar motion with a deep blue on a tooth pick. Then as a final touch I dipped my taped spatula in white buttercream and made swirling waves coming up out of the water. The swirling water was very effective for the end look. A similar touch would probably be very effective with your added fish coming out of the water or swimming in the water.

I did something VERY similar with my beach cake. You can view it in my profile. Buttercream and piping gel on top worked great! GL

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 17

do you have an airbrush. You can get nice water colors using different shades of airbrush blues.

CraftyCakeMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCakeMaker Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcent

do you have an airbrush. You can get nice water colors using different shades of airbrush blues.

I am in the process of getting an airbrush... but I don't have it yet. icon_sad.gif I think I might just dye the whipped cream but not chance it with the piping gel. That way, at least it is blue and I am certain whipped cream on cheese cake is liked by many. Thanks for the help! Any other suggestions or comments today are appreciated. I will be finishing this cake tonight!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #13 of 17

I use 2 different shades of blue icing and add blue sparkle gel by wilton. dont mix completely because you want the different shades to show. Then just swirl around to make it look like water

CakeKid200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeKid200 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 17

Hi, i am trying to make water, would it woork if i used a layer of plain white icing then tinted piping gel blue to put on top? If someone thinks that will work please tell me asap!

thanks icon_smile.gif

Terri66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri66 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:35am
post #15 of 17

Hi, I buy clear "gelatin" at the Bulk Barn or local bakery supply store...it comes in a little tub. It looks like clear jello....I tint it with a little blue food colouring and spread it on where I want "water"...i.e., river, pond...water in a bucket....It is 100% edible and really really looks like water. Have a look at my Tangled Tower Cake on my profile. The river is made with this stuff. Looks real !!!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I agree with the white and blue... having dark blue accents will also give it a nice touch.

This is what I did with this cake. However, I have other "watery" cakes if you want to look in my album......

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1907049

laurajo1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurajo1218 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 17

I really can't wait to try this!! Thanks for the step by step!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%